If your kids were in public school where another student was being discriminated on because of religion (not your religion) would you take action?

**Not happening to me ~ Just thinking about it.

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You all know me ~ Never keep my mouth shut! I would step in with out a doubt. Talk to his parents first and find out if they even know and how they feel about it... IF I had to I would talk to the teacher and the higher ups. Any form of discrimination to me is just plain wrong. So for it to happen to a child is just sick. And the last thing I would want is for my child to witness something like that and think it was okay, just because the school was okay with it...

So, yes, I would step in!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We had a really diverse population in my school, muslim etc.
    After 9-11, several of the muslim kids got the crap kicked out of them, but the school didn't really do much about it.
    Back then, I got in my share of fist fights jumping in when kids were getting unfairly treated (far whatever reason)LOL, kids in my school were violent.

As an adult, I would very much step in. I would not want a school to discriminate against mine or any other child, for any reason.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 5:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Depends.

Im not a speaker upper. If my child came home and had defended this child and got hurt in the process you bet Id be all over the school about the entire situation including what was done to the other child.

If my child says nothing about it then I wouldnt know anyway so Id do nothing.

If I was at school picking up my child and saw this other child being harrassed or beat up,etc then Id be over there toot sweet getting the kids off him/her and getting the principal, teachers and whoever else I could get to intervene.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm not so much talking about fight between kids as much as I was thinking discrimination on the part of the school... Not allowing a muslum girl or jewish boy to wear head coverings, forcing a child to remove a religious piece of Jewlery while allowing others or singling a spacific child out because the teacher has issues with their faith...

More of an adult in charge vs child situation...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh, of course. This happens all the time and I don't think the schools take bullying seriously. I think the kids need all the support they can get, so they don't feel alone and helpless.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh, school discrimination (not bullying). Yes I woulds still support the student, of course.

I don't think the school would forbid a head covering; I don't think they could. But some school districts were thinking about allowing for release time during the day so muslim students could go pray at the different prayer times (providing a room and rugs where they could face east??? I think). Currently they don't do that here. But we do postpone tests that we would normally have during the feast of Ramadan, because the kids are fasting during the day and celebrating in the evenings (the district even encourages us to go easy on homework during this time). I think that is an effort to show support to the muslim community. We actually had quite a big muslim population in the HS I worked in. They had their own club and many non-muslim students joined to support them.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Honestly, I dont know. If I heard of it at a PTA meeting or my child told me about what was going on then Id side with the students being picked on.

Its all or nothing as far as Im concerned. If one student is allowed to wear something of their faith then others should be allowed as well.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We are a fairly outspoken family (no surprises here), an yes, we would all speak up.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would probably start by talking to the parent to see what they think and then I would totally support the family if they were to try to speak up and take action. But I wouldn't do anything unless the family approved first.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Absolutely. No child should be discriminated against because of their religious beliefs (or no religious beliefs).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 6:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009