Can anyone help me understand?

Ok so i had an appointment today, I will be 36 weeks tomorrow and i am a half cm dilated and 80% effaced, my last appointment was friday and i was a fingertip dilated and 65% effaced, does this mean that labor is soon? I think I am just confused on how this whole process works...this is my first baby and i have no idea what to expect! can anyone help me understand this a little better?

babygirl092009

Asked by babygirl092009 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Labor can still be weeks away. With my first I was 3cm dialated for a week or two. Different people dialate at different speeds. Some people dialate fast and others it can take weeks. There really isnt any way to tell if you are going to go into labor soon or not.
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• you can call your doc and he can tell you
    newmom461

Answer by newmom461 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol, this is exactly why I usually say to avoid vaginal exams. :-/
    This doesn't mean much~ except that your body is working to get ready to birth. It doesn't mean you will birth soon... or far.

Because it's your first baby, you can expect your average estimated due period to be about 41 weeks, 1 day.   And because many babies fall within a couple of weeks before or after, just plan for baby to still be in there a week or two after that "first-timer's due date."    (*Then if baby comes earlier, great!)

Many women never have their cervix checked in pregnancy, I didn't with my babies.   It's not useful information (and it shoves risky bacteria up there, even w/gloves).   You can decline the offer if it helps you to stay stronger & less confused.

Good luck!

doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was 3 cm wiht my first child for about 4 weeks and 80 percent effaced. I remember my last visit before he was born the doctor was doing an examine and said he couldn't find me cervic. I remember asking did my cervic going on vacation before the big day.
    conweis

Answer by conweis at 12:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009