For Mom's who have kids who don't like to sleep ....

My son is 21 months old and he hates to go to sleep - we can't go anywhere overnight because he has to be in his own bed or he will just stay up forever I think.. yet he still crys himself to sleep each night. He doesn't try to get out of the crib, but he does sleep on a cot at daycare .. yet I can't get him to lay down on the bed with me for anything. Do you think he'd like a toddler bed instead of the crib? We have the crib that turns into a bed but I was waiting til he tried to climb out before transitioning to the bed part. Or would that make the fight to go to bed a million times harder? Right now we bath, read books and I lay him down but he will still sometimes cry for up to 30 minutes.. I am nervous about big boy bed time but maybe he just needs more room? anyone? By the way - we've did the adjusting of times, he's not crying cause he's not tired - Our ped said some kids just fight to not go to bed like this..ugh.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• One of my daughters hates bed time. If it is time to go to sleep there is no calming her down she will screem through a fit you name it. At 2 i switched her and her twind sister to big girl beds. I made a huge deal of it and took them to the store to pick out their own bed set. She still crys and tries to escape sleep, but she will lie down in her bed. The frist few nights he will probably get up and leave his room, but as long as you keep putting him right back in and don't let him have any extra attention.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 6:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• cont'd - I don't agree with the Ped but have tried literally everything to get him to sleep. He doesn't like to cuddle, doesn't find any comfort from it - he's always had to cry himself to sleep - he will push me off when I try to cuddle him or calm him. I don't know - I don't think its normal but its all I know with him...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009