Potty Training

My son just turned 3 and wants nothing to do with potty training. Does anybody have any advice for me?

Espinoza16

Asked by Espinoza16 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I tried EVERYTHING from the time mine was 18 months to just a few weeks ago. What finally took was he just decided to. He was stopping himself up for a week at a time and I had to start giving him suppositories. He HATED this and I told him it was this or we go to the doctor and he gives you a shot. He hated both so he finally started doing it. He had been pee trained for about a year at this point BTW.
    Does your go to daycare? That really helped mine too. Also, does dad let him come in and watch when he goes? This again helped mine out huge! Good luck and feel free to message me privatly if you need to vent.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Some boys aren't ready until they are around 4.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I started potty training my daughter a couple of weeks before she turned 2. (I heard boys were a little harder than girls to potty train). I had to take two weeks off and work from home because my sitter at the time went on vacation. So while I was home my goal was to get her potty trained. I had her sit on the potty about 30 minutes after each meal until she went and instead of putting training diapers on her (training diapers didnt work..it was like having a diaper on)...she went commando at home and started using the potty (the big peoples potty..not the tiny little plastic one), i assume it's because she didnt want to get herself all yucky, but it worked. After 2 weeks she was potty trained and we've only had 1 accident since (she couldn't hold it long enough for us to get through a line at the restroom).

Hope that helps!
    kismet612

Answer by kismet612 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 24, 2009