Homemade hamburger helper?

We ate lots of "hamburger helper" as kids, but as I grew up, I realized that's just what my mom called it; it didn't come from the box.

Anyone have any good recipes for an original hamburger helper meal?

I have about half a pound of ground beef, some elbow macaroni, cheddar cheese and some spaghetti sauce, or canned tomatoes.. you think that plus spices can make it? I'm more of a follow the set recipe kind of a girl... Thanks!

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 6:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• That sounds like what I call "goolash" lol....my mother always makes it and now I do for my family.

I put about a pound of ground beef....2 or 3 cans of tomato paste or sauce....add water to make it the consistancy you desire maybe some garlic salt.....a bit of oregeno....and the SECRET ingredient....

Teaspoon of sugar....it takes the tang outta the tomatoes.....

Cheese on top...! YUMM!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We make goulash like this too, but it's always more Italian, with mozzarella and parmigiana and Italian seasoning, would it taste good with cheddar instead, do you think?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would probably prefer mozzarella but heck....imo....ANY cheese is good cheese...lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ha, Thanks!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009