How can I get my one year old to go to bed at nine?!

She takes lots of naps,and I think it's fine because if she misses one she's extremely cranky. But when a baby is tired,they're just tired. There really isn't n waking them up. I want to know how could I get her to just go to bed at nine! Please help!

NevaehsMommy555

Asked by NevaehsMommy555 at 6:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she is taking lots of naps it just might not be possible. You might try to structure her day to eliminate some naps. You could try doing something to wear her out so she goes to sleep at 9. I'm thinking about what you do with dogs. You could take her to the park and she would fall asleep on the way home.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Cut back the naps. No napping past 6pm.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'd try restructuring the naps. At 1, there should be at most 2 naps, a morning and an afternoon. You don't mention how many naps she's actually taking nor how long each nap is. You might try delaying when she goes does for a nap (but not by too much each time) to get to two longer naps.) I'd also limit when the last nap occurs. You might be better off eliminating a late afternoon nap and put her down for the night earlier than 9. For more ideas, you might try reading Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. I found it helpful and have recommended it before.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No more than 3 hours worth of naps - 1 hour in the morning, 2 hours in the afternoon, nothing past 5. Routine. Calm. Quiet. Just put her down. Don't give her any options. You are the parent, don't let her try to run over you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I had to restructure my 13 month olds complete sleep schedule, and am still working on it. The key I found to getting him to go to be early at night (like 8pm) was to get him up early in the morning (like at 7am), and then not let him nap too much during the day. He takes two naps during the day, the first one in the morning is about 2 hours, then the afternoon one is about 1 hour, and I make sure that he is awake from the afternoon nap by 5pm.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son just turned 1 this week and still takes a nap after being up for 1 1/2 hours!! all through out the day! If I want him in bed earlier, I just wake him up in the morning earlier. I usually keep him up from 6:30 and he is ready for bed by 9!
    RachWell

Answer by RachWell at 9:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• tell her to take her fav. toy and put it to bed but she has to stay there with it until her toys " asleep " it worked for my son and hes just turned two and now he tells us when he wanted to go to bed ! he comes and gives night night kisses and goes to bed all by him self !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2009