My son will be 3 in November and does NOT want to potty train. any ideas?

GiacomoRocks

Asked by GiacomoRocks at 6:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's still early. Some boys don't potty train until they are around 4.

Here is what worked with my son. He wanted a Big Wheel. We were at the store and I told him if I didn't have to buy diapers any more I could buy the Big Wheel. He potty trained that day and we got the Big Wheel. A win-win situation. He was developmentally ready but just not motivated.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 6:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• wait until he is ready?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• thank you for your answers. i'm frustrated. he is SO advanced in every other area, but is just digging in his heels when it comes to potty training. i leave him on the pot for an hour EVERY morning while i'm getting ready doing my hair/makeup/etc...........he flat out REFUSES. i threatened to throw out his favorite shorts today, which almost made him cry, and then i felt guilty and thought maybe i was being to harsh. i have tried going the "rewards" route, and that didn't work, so i was trying "tough love", but i think it's lost in the translation on a 3 year old boy. ugh!
    GiacomoRocks

Answer by GiacomoRocks at 7:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wait or you could just go backwards with this which is far worse. Wait till 3.5.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• All three of my kids were 3 and a half when they were trained. If you try to force it, he will keep resisting. Ask him if he wants to use the potty, but leave it up to him and make it seem like you could care less what he did. Do you know any other kids his age who are potty trained? Sometimes peer pressure can work in our favor LOL
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 11:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I had the same problem with my three year old son...we tried everything, rewards, praise, sitting him there and not letting him up, anything we could think of. In the end (and we're not completely through yet, but getting there) it was a combination of things that worked. First was that we sit him straddled on the seat, so he can see what's going on down there. my son was fascinated to see himself pee. Next my mom sent a brand new tricycle that we set in the bathroom, explaining that the trike was a no diaper trike, and he couldn't ride it unless he peed on the potty consistantly for a week. And then I let him run around naked, so he could do everything on his own. For a couple days I was mopping up messes, but one day we just saw him run into the bathroom, and lo and behold he had climbed up and done everything all by himself. Sometimes it takes a while for things to click.
    ShyViolett

Answer by ShyViolett at 11:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son did everything else, but refused to poop on the potty. He was 3 1/2 and was getting really frustrated. Everyone in his class was trained, he was the last one left. I tried leaving him there, but he would just cry. I tried bargaining with him, nothing worked...so I kind of gave up.

About a month later, he came to me and asked to go poop on the toilet and he just kept going from there. I know it's hard, but you just have to wait until they are ready. It was really hard for me because I used to be a teacher and got used to the idea that , by a certain age, they should be going, but it didn't work for him.

He'll go when he's ready.
    PassionateMom

Answer by PassionateMom at 10:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009