Which one to believe?

I am 25 weeks pregnant. I have been having contractions for a few weeks now. This past weekend they got really bad and close together, so I went to the ER and they checked me and said I was fine, my cervix was a little under 3 cm and gave me a pill to help "relax" my uterus. So I thought everything was great. Then, I talked to a friend and she said it sounded wrong, so she asked her OB, since we are the same GA and she flipped. She said I should be on strict bed rest and they should never have let me walk out of there without keeping me over night. Then the med to relax my uterus was actually an anti-contraction medication! They knew I was in preterm and they sent me home anyway. Also, she said that anything under 3 cm is not good this early in pregnancy. She wants me to go back and demand steroid shots for the baby. So my question- anyone with a similar medical history, and what treatment did you receive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't know who your friends doctor is but it really irresponsible to give medical advice site unseen. In all my years working in a hospital I have never encounter a doctor willing to take that risk with their liscense.

That said, if you have concern, Don't go back to the ED go to your OB/GYN or Labor and Delivery. The ED is not the best place for you. The ED is a not specialized its only for emergent care. Its costly and expensive to boot. You need specialized care now, I don't know what time it is where you live but iif there is still time get to the clinic. If not see if they will let you go straight to the Labor and Delivery ward at your hospital.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yeah- when I went to the ED they sent me up to L&D. The OB is also my friends sister-in-law so I think it was a just an opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well, I'm not a dr, but after 3 pregnancies I know that being that dilated at 25 weeks is NOT good and they probably shouldnt have sent you home.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• NEVER trust what an ER doctor says!!! They aren't OB/GYN's so they usually don't know much..
    Mandy211

Answer by Mandy211 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009