Homebirth/Birth Center Question

So. I am 35 weeks pregnant and moved across country and now have the oppertunity to have my daughter at the midwives house/clinic. I am feeling a little apprehensive about it. My husband is in the Army and probably wont be able to be present to see the baby born, but I Have my grandparents and my son to support me. I just need some words of advice and enouragement and thoughts on the matter. Homebirth was what my husband and I origionally decided before he left...

SummerHolloway

Asked by SummerHolloway at 6:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• What makes you apprehensive about having your baby with this midwife? Isn't she able to assist you in birthing your baby at home like you planned? Do you have the option to see a different midwife? Or is it just that this is new to you and you would feel more comfortable in a hospital?

I would be happy to help talk you though this. I have some experience with homebirth, and I would be happy to help :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• As long as your prenatal care indicates no complications with either you or your child Ithink its a wonderful idea. In fact it is the one thing I would change about my son's birth. I had a wonderful labor until I transferred from home to the hospital. It was just to stressful and the only time I felt panicked.

I am so going to do a home birth the next time around. PRovided we have the money and there are no risk factors. Good Luck!
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 6:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My apprehension comes with being due in 5 weeks. she will be a new midwife for me and my husband wont be with me. I actually would prefer not using doctors as I want to delay vaxing (an issue for most ob;s i have spoken with)... and lots of other unorthodox things :) Most of it comes from not having my DH i think tho :) I just dont know what to expect or anything!! I feel unprepared!
    SummerHolloway

Answer by SummerHolloway at 6:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• What's vaxing?
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 6:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You've had a baby before and you'll be seeing the midwife several times before the birth. You could hire a doula since your husband won't be there. Some military wives are able to set up a camera or webcam and watch the birth and you could talk to him.

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 7:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Summer, I think that once you meet your midwife and share your fears with her you will be pleasantly surprised at how supportive and reassuring she will be. Make sure to tell her that you want to get to know her before the birth and that you want to meet all attendants. Do you have anyone else you could ask to support you through labor? If not, then perhaps a doula would be your best option. It will help you out a lot.

I think that you'll be fine. Just be open and honest with your midwife.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009