8 yearold nephew saying his is bi-sexual

my 8 yearl old nephew is telling everyone that he is bi-sexual and my husband is really starting to loathe the boys' parents for not properly educating him. it is causing a great divide in our family due to the strong presence of religious practices.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have heard that most people that are gay, lesbian or bi-sexual know it at an early age. This is not your DH problem. IMO.

Answer by louise2 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hmm. There are people who believe that all humans fall somewhere on a "bisexual spectrum".

Where does your husband believe that the child's education is lacking?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• what does his education have anything to do with it?
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wow when I was 8 id didn't even like the opposite sex...
    But I agree. Not really your husbands place to worry about it. Does the child know what bi-sexual means? If so then i guess he knows what he is talking about and so I guess you can't argue that he doesn't know what he's talking about. Besides he has plenty of time t grow out of the idea. He may just enjoy the reaction.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• not properly educating him about what? Does he not know what the word means? If you mean not properly educating him that your hubby and/or his family thinks it's a sin, well, perhaps they disagree with you and therefore are teaching him what they believe, in which case your hubby needs to just deal with it. It's not his place to decide what their children should be taught.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• "properly educating" what is that supposed to mean?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• At 8 years old, I doubt he understand what that means. Bisexual means that he is "sexually attracted to both sexes." 8 year olds should not be sexually attracted to ANYONE! Do his parents know he is saying this? I would think they would be more concerned and know that this type of information is not something that you go and announce in public. I don't go into public places and announce that I'm "heterosexual" - it's just not appropriate behavior, especially for an 8 year old. Maybe he's seeking attention?

Answer by missanc at 9:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daughter says she's a mermaid....doesn't mean it's true and if it is so what. Perhaps at that age he does find girls and boys attractive. He may really be bisexual or he may just be saying that he is..either way, accept and love your child for who they are...even if it's not what YOU want them to be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sit him down & ask him what bi-sexual means. He may have overheard older kids talking about liking both sexes and took it to mean that he has friends of both sexes so he must be too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009