How to clean hard water marks off a glass shower door?

When we moved into our home in 2003, we discovered that we had incredibly hard water (terribly expensive too, but that's another story) and the glass shower stall had hard water marks and soap scum. Since then I have tried so many products to try and remove the soap scum and hard water, but I can't get it perfectly clean. On the surface I KNOW it's clean because I clean it daily, but am I just stuck with the hard water marks permanently? I'd love any suggestions anyone could give.

Asked by mommytoadam at 12:04 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • You have to do this when the shower doors are completely dry. Take a DRY green scrubby pad and use it to "sand" away the dried soap and stains away. it will be like a powder falling off your scrubby. after scrubbing all areas, use a little liquid tide & rinsed scrubby to scrub tide around. RINSE WELL (makes tub very slick. Use caution) A dab'll do ya! Works Great!

Answer by kymom2boys at 2:02 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• I use dryer sheets to clean off the shower doors. If you scrubbed so much already, maybe it wont come off anymore

Answer by Momoftwinsn1 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• try a product called CLR. vinegar works well too.

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• We have the same problem where we live and I use Kaboom. I works! I just spray it on, nice and thick, and as it runs down you can see the clean glass behind it. You still have to scrub a little to get all of it, but I would'nt use anything else.

Answer by shoegal at 2:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• lime-a-way

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:22 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• If you have tried the cleaning products and they dont work next step is to use a razor blade to scrape them off. Wet down the glass with a bit of windex and try it on a small area to see if it will be worth your time. If it still doesnt come off, then it is probably stained so you will have to camouflauge it. The perfect camouflauge is baby oil belive it or not! Very lightly buff it into the glass with a lint free cloth until you cant see it anymore. It will keep the water marks away also. Try it, it works!

Answer by njoynlife at 10:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• CLR or Lime-a-way

Answer by momwillandturn at 12:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Spray plege (or even dollar store brand, any brand will work) on glass doors and wipe off. no waiting, no scrubbing.

Answer by Jamesgirl369 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2008