I'm tired of apologizing for having money!

So many times I have seen (and I have done this as well) people apologizing for having money! They say things like "we are fortunate" or "we are very lucky to not need PA" etc. I'm sorry, but the reason we have money isn't luck! My husband works his ASS off so we can purchase our home, pay our bills, and feed our family! He signed up for the military so that he could fight for the country, but also so that he could have job security. He made well thought out choices, so that he could take care of us! And so did I, I went to college even though I was a young single mom, I struggled, I missed out on plenty of opportunities, but I did it so that I could take care of my family. Sure, we are lucky that we have our health, but beyond that, we WORKED for what we have. I am very sorry for those that don't have much now, I donate to charities and we are sometimes month to month. Anyone else feel this way? Should I be more humble?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• then you shouldn't feel the need to also post this anon.
    be proud of yourself...you sound like you are.
    i don't know why you apologize for having money in the first place.
    i don't have enough, and I don't care that you do.
    i think it's great that you have what you need, your husband works so hard for you guys and our country. Why in the HELL would you apologize for that?
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We don't have enough to donate charities.

My husband works his ASS off too, so we have the things we have.
    So we don't need to rely on PA. But, I do feel very fortunate and thankful.

AND , we ARE lucky. because, People are getting laid off left & right.

Anyhow.
    kframpton

Answer by kframpton at 7:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Are you expecting a cookie or something? who really cares if you have money or not...you seem to be the one stuck on it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 7:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• nope...you are blessed..nothing wrong with that...but nothing wrong with being humble...i know someone that has their own jet to fly...that's how rich they are...but if you stood next to them..you'd never know how rich he is..so don't apologize, but, as you stated, you help others and that's a good thing...don't apologize any more. money isn't the most important thing...to me God is.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 7:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well... no, i don't think so.
    You worked hard to be where you are, people might think you got there from "old money" or you take it for granted. . . but... everyone has to start somewhere.
    We struggled. We lived with both our parents. Our DS was born when we were not financially stable.
    but my DH was also in the military - and he took college as well, and so did I.
    We worked HARD to be where we are today, and although I won't flaunt it, I won't apologize for it.
    Why should I have to apologize for my hard earned and hardly fought financial stability? You shouldn't either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I didn't know I was anon. :]
    My bad.

And thank you, codysmama. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• And I'm tired of having to explain why I am not a lazy freeloader just because I DO get public assistance. I work my ass off to take care of my daughter and of myself and I still barely have enough to get by, so hey.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That's what I'm saying anon :13. I don't normally flaunt it, for heaven's sake, we could be on WIC if we wanted, we're not rich, we have enough for us though.

I don't want a cookie, I'm just wondering why we feel the need to put our success down for fear of offending others.
    Anonymous

• Amen, Anon4.17
    We're by no means filthy rich - but we live very comfortably. We're thrifty - military income isn't extraordinary - unless you're a higher rank. I'm still going through college and was working, but now that I'm pregnant, I'm not. We no what it's like to want, but can't have. We know what it's like to be on assistance, even though we work hard, anon .17... the first anon poster... >_>
    We don't look down on people who work hard and are still on assistance. Sometimes, you need an extra boost. Even an extra $50 is a godsend.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• eye rolling

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009