Incredibly upset over someone's ridiculous, biased views...

I'm a fiercely patriotic person. Yes, our country has a lot of flaws... but doesn't mean I won't stand by her.
I was speaking with a young soldier yesterday - having fun chatter - turned out he was the same MOS as my DH, etc, etc. This other man butted in, and started talking about how all soldiers are evil and brainwashed. That they're being "lead to slaughter" for "no cause whatsoever." I understand some people view this war as pointless - as nothing but greed. But has everyone forgotten that this was also started because hundreds of people senselessly died because of terrorism? Did nobody feel the terror and heartache over 9/11? It was very heartwarming to see everyone band together.. and it seems like it's dispersing fast.
I don't understand how this man could call himself an American, and say that soldiers deserve to die? Why? They weren't drafted. They all joined voluntarily.
We shouldn't mourn the death of soldiers?

K_Sawyer

Asked by K_Sawyer at 7:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• There's more to the story, but I'll post more once I've calmed down a bit. I'm still flabbergasted and seeing red.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He is just doing what an American is allowed to do. Voice his thoughts and ideas out loud. This is part of what makes us a great country. If we all had to think and believe the same, we would be like some of the countries we have fought against for so long.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes he has the right but it was pretty rude.I posted a great video earlier the post is called "Do you want to restore some of your faith in people?" You should go check it out.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Just to make it clear - my husband is also a Soldier in the United States Army that has been in Iraq for 2 tours and I am a proud Army wife!
    I think it's wrong for people to say things like this about soldiers!

But the war in Iraq did not start because of 9/11!!! It started because President Bush falsly accused Saddam Hussein of having weapons for mass destruction! No soldier should have died in this war!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think the guy is an idiot. BUT you have to realize there are TWO wars right now. There's not "the war", there's the war in Iraq and the war in Afghanistan. I think a lot of contention is caused over the fact people keep referring and thinking as these two wars as the same thing. They're not. They have different causes and will have different ends. I have no issue with the war in Afghanistan. I do have an issue with the war in Iraq. HOWEVER, I also realize that my issues aren't with the soldiers, but the government.
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 7:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ditto Jafra mommy
    LolaCherryCola

Answer by LolaCherryCola at 7:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• HOWEVER, I also realize that my issues aren't with the soldiers, but the government.

Too bad there were not more in the Dem party that felt that way. Many soldiers are being treated just like the Vietnam Vets when they came home. They are being spit on and called murderers. Seems the Antiwar crowd should be yelling at the politicians who decide if we go to war and who keep us at war. Many choose to shout and scream at our troops and their widows. Very, very sad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Anon :51 - where do you see this happening? I know a number of people that are vehemently opposed to the war in Iraq - I am also, and do not feel that way about the soldiers. I think you are posting a bunch of shit. Yes, there have been some definitive abuses by our soldiers in Iraq. They have been disciplined as they should be. But there are assholes everywhere, even in the military.

I respect that people are still willing to go and fight a war they may not believe in(Iraq) because they believe in our country. I don't fault them for being there, unless they behave in the manner of soldiers who rape, or abuse the prisoners - they have nothing to apologize for. To make this a "Dem party" issue is divisive assinine tactics, and you should be ashamed.

And FTR, I know a large number of Repubs who have never approved of the war in Iraq, but are totally behind why we are in Afghanistan. But not angry with the soldiers.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 8:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That idiot is lucky he has people in the ARMY that will die defending his right to spew his bullshit.
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 8:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wow! Just reading this made me sad & angry too! What an asshole! Free speech, yes. Butting in, and being a dick...NO thank you!
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 9:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009