What is the best (safest) carseat on the market?! What kind do you have?!

I'm trying to pick out a carseat for my almost 7 month old. His current carseat is up to 22 pounds, and he's 19 pounds now. I am overwhelmed with the amount of carseats on the market. I want one that is rear facing up to 35-40 pounds. I can't afford a super expensive one, but will put some money in to a good seat. I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and pro's and cons about your carseat!

COgle3

Asked by COgle3 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a Peg Perego.
    Now we have a Britax convertible carseat for our Little Man.

We'll probably get another Peg Perego with this new baby. I'm still a little irked that I had sold it just 2 weeks BEFORE I found out I was pregnant. Grr! :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The safest one is the one which can be installed in YOUR vehicle properly and in which the baby fits properly. It can be the most expensive,' highest rated' seat out there but if you can't install it properly, it's shit.

We used the Alpha Omega 3-in-1 convertible and the Eddie Bauer. LOVED them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hm, the best seat out there is a Britax. There is nothing better. Cadillac of carseats. However, The Graco Myride65 is a good seat too. Rear faces to 40 forward faces to 65 and is only $150. The first years True Fit is good too. Rear faces to 35 forward faces to 65 and has a tall shell and they are very safe. They run about $180. I have an Evenflo Triumph Advance rf to 35 ff to 50. I love it, runs about $140, but Im going to be getting a Britax soon. Eddies Bauers and Alpha Omegas are crap... stay away. You pay for looks not safety or comfort with them. Like a PP said, make sure it fits well in your car though...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Go to your library and read the Consumer Reports evaluations. Or get them online at www.consumerreports.org

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• we have the britax bulevard (sp?) and love it. we got it at once upon a child for 300$ it converts and goes from 5 to 65 lbs
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 8:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Britax is the best however it doesnt mean anything else can be good also. It all depends on how you install it and how you strap him in. You can find really good deals online if you research. I got my Britax Decathon for $199 (reg. $309). Target just had their Britax Roundabout and Marathon clearanced for $114. Just read up on how to instal properly and watch some youtube videos and don't worry so much about the actual car seat. If it was dangerous they wouldn't sell it.
    nut0077

Answer by nut0077 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Check out consumer reports, but in the end the safest car seat is one that is installed and used correctly. I chose the third for safety but first for ease of use according to consumer reports at the time (Evenflo Triumph). Yes all the car seats on the market meet at least MINIMUM requirements or they couldn't be sold, but that doesn't mean that some don't go above and beyond that MINIMUM and if you can afford it why not buy the better car seat. Britax are not always the safest or easiest to use and may not install well into your car. The Marathon would not fit in my car at all so I would not buy it. I love the Triumph because of how easy it is to adjust the 5 point harness when you put baby in. It has a tension knob thing on the side and is very easy to adjust.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009