Daycares & Biting

Do you think it is "normal" for kids to get bit at daycare???

What if the daycare workers don't know which kid did the biting? Do you think that means they don't watch the kids?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my 5 yr old was about 18 months, he bit and was bit on many occasions. I took it in stride. One of his teachers was fired for attempting to bite him back one day. Soon after that, we were informed that Aidan could no longer go to that Kindercare or any one of them in the world. He had bitten one of the kids that day and been bit as well. I still think it was unfair to him and us to do it, since we was usually biting back from being bit.

A friend was watching my boys and her son for a few months while my hubby and I worked. If I thought that the bites that Aidan received and gave were bad, this kid's mouth was beyond anything I have ever seen. He would just walk up and sink his teeth into whatever body part he decided on. The teethmarks were the entire mouth and deep. He was a total terror!

Biting happens, but must be corrected.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 8:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I do think it's normal for a child to get bit, and not surprising for the provider to not always know who did it. I've been with my daughter and my friend's son when a child got hurt and didn't know who did what, you can't watch them 24/7, a girl has to blink!

Now if it's happening on a regular basis, that's a problem. Once, maybe twice, not a big deal IMO.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I worked at a daycare before...
    It can happen that your child gets bit in daycare! It should not be normal though! Some children are "biters" and normally the caregivers know it and should keep an extra eye on the "biter".
    The caregivers probably know who bit your child but they are not allowed to give you the name of the "biter"!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009