My kitten has worms =(

We just adopted a kitten and found out she has roundworms and toxidia. I am worried of my daughter and other dogs getting it now. We have kept the kitten in the bathroom, but we walk in there and back out around the house. What are the odds of us getting it, too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I understand that you won't get them. Take the kitten to the vet to get dewormed. The vet will be able to tell you about precautions and whether you can get them.

Answer by Bmat at 8:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We got the results today but they were closed for actual business. I am going in the morning to get her meds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• roundworms CAN be passed to humans it is just unusual. If you are practicing good hygiene then there should be no problems. Washing hands after messing with the poop. Cleaning out the litter box regularly... Most people have a good enough immune system to keep any active roundworm infection in check. Most of your risk is to small children and immune deficient adults. Again though, things as simple as washing hands with soap and water is all it takes to keep your family safe.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I'm a vet tech and I agree with But Mommie. Just wash hands esp. the kids. Roundworms travel to the eye in humans.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:29 AM on Aug. 21, 2009