my 5 year old son has severed anxiety and fear of death and fires, has anyone ever experienced a young child with such grown up fears?

My son is 5 years old he has been diagnosed with severe anxiety and ocd. His anxiety has been pretty bad since he was 3, however over the past 6 months I thought he was getting better. About 3 days ago he overheard on the news that a 9 yearold girl had died in an apartment fire and ever since then he has been nervous and constantly has to be by mine and my husbands side. The worst time is at night, although his bedroom is right next to ours he continuously gets up and comes to our door to make sure the we are still awake and havnt gone anywhere. As soon as we do decide to go to sleep he goes into an instant panic attack and has even vomited because of his attacks. For the past 3 nights I have ended up having to sleep in my sons room in his bed with him (otherwise he would NOT go to sleep, he would be up all night panicking. Does anyoe out there have any advice other then medications? Please Please Help!

melaynasmom1

Asked by melaynasmom1 at 8:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had anxiety too when I was a child. I feared my parents dying and leaving me, and had a terrible recurring nightmare which I still remember vividly now as an adult. I had to sleep with my mom for almost year, maybe more, and I don't remember what my parents did or how but I got back into my own bed eventually but had to sleep with the door open. I also slepttalk and sleptwalked but I don't know if it was related to anxiety. Mine wasn't bad enough for doctors or meds, though. Now, my 2 year old is starting to show signs. She's afraid of almost everything and very skeptical. It's still pretty mild though. I don't really have much advice for you but just wanted you to know that you're not alone! Hang in there. Sometimes chamomile tea helps relax so you might try and see if he'll drink it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I am sorry to hear this is happening to all of you. Turn off the news and any crime shows. No newspapers and maybe get your house rigged with an alarm system. My son did this and it drove me crazy. He is 13 now and doing much better. I just reassured him that this would not happen to us. I have to watch what he sees on tv and hears otherwise. Remind him you are right there in the other room and would never let anything happen to him. I started playing books on tape to him at night. We would read first and then I turned on the tape recorder (must be cds now). Simple books. Curious George, The Little House, etc....even as he grew older these comforted him. A night light also helps. And maybe a favorite stuffed animal. I hope things improve. I wish I had the answer that would make everything better. Hang in there.
    Neciee

Answer by Neciee at 8:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank you all for your support...I will tray some of your advice, and yes it is nice to know we are not alone
    melaynasmom1

Answer by melaynasmom1 at 7:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• there is some all natural sleep meds you can try for kids, go to vitacost.com
    mcqueenmom

Answer by mcqueenmom at 2:46 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• sorry no real advice just feel bad for your baby! He is so young for all of this. My son fears things too but not quite this bad...
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Wow, I thought I was the only one! Thankfully my kids haven't started it yet... but i vividly remember as a child (no more than 5 or 6) being SO afraid of the house burning down... it's not like we watched the news (cause we didnt) and I'm not really sure where this fear came from... but even now I will be up all night making sure everything is off (coffee pot, iron, stove... curling iron... even the stupid things)... And don't EVEN get me started on Carbon Monoxide... we moved into this house in the winter... it had gas heat and no CO monitors... I didn't sleep until spring!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 5:32 AM on Aug. 22, 2009