Have you ever been the victim of housing discrimination?

If so, would you share your story?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I have been. In 1962 Hawthrone CA. We just came up from Ecuador legally. Five kids and parents. We where looking for a home and no one would rent to us. My dad told someone "what do you want me to do kill one of my kids". They said we had to many kids. Everyone had a lot of kids those days LOL
    My dad worked his butt off to gave us a good life. With NO government help.
    People thought just because we are latins my parents where uneducated, they where very wrong. We lived very well there, we had maids we where not the maids.
    One day my mom wanted to cash a personal check a lady came up to her and said let me help you with your government check. WTF! My mother always dressed very well her hair and makeup always done. My mom is from old money Ha Ha. Some people did look down on us. As a kid I just thought how ignorant are these people.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No, I haven't. I have been treated like CRAP by apt landlords that were b*tchy and took months to fix things like the 2 ft by 4 ft hole in my bathroom ceiling that THEY put there when they came to fix the leak in the ceiling (that took them 6 months to fix!).

Off subject but I am facinated by the guy that does the housing discrimination commercial.  I can't decide if he is really good or if I would be able tell it was the same guy.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well, I don't know how discriminatory it actually was - but I know what I was told by a previous landlord. I'm white (well, for the record, I'm Irish/American Indian - white), she is Mexican - and when I say Mexican I don't mean of Hispanic origin - I mean Mexican - she had only been in this country for 5 years - and called me one day and asked me if I could search the attic for her green card - hmmmm.) anyhow, she didn't like me. I didn't like her. But she told me once that when I moved out she was not going to have any more "law abiding white people" in her house. And she didn't. When we moved out - actually before we could finish - a load ( and yes, I mean a load - in the back of a 1970s something dump truck) pulled up - 17 people started taking suitcases (no furniture) into the house. Hell, I didn't even know what her last name was - i made my checks out to one name and found out later she used a different name for jobs
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009