formula question

im 35 weeks pregnant, and i plan to breastfeed, but if in the event i cant, i wanted to know about formula, i have gotten samples from lots of companies and from my baby shower, my question is once you start one type of formula ex.simalic, can you switch exs. parents choice, or do you have to mix it like if you were to switch dog or cat food, i know i just compared newborn care to animal care, but any help would be great.

newmom092009

Asked by newmom092009 at 8:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldnt mix it but you can use any kind....as long as its contains the same things...like milk based soybased lactose fre...stuff like that
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It will all be up to YOUR baby. Some babies will take switching. Some won't. Yes, you can mix. Doesn't mean baby will take it.

There are babies who will take ANYTHING you give them, and there are those who will only take the most expensive brand on the market.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Don't even be think'in you can't. Virtually all women in the world can breastfeed - women who live in war zones, starving women, women with horrible diseases, and even women with triplets. The vast majority of women who say they can't breastfeed could breastfeed if they had the right help and support. If you have at least one breast there is every reason to believe you can breastfeed.

It's best if you get that formula out of your house. If you have it you might be tempted to use it. Someone might come over and say something to make you doubt yourself. Someone may want to help you by doing the 3 am feeding. Just one bottle of formula changes the baby's digestive system and it can take weeks to get back to normal. For more info go to google and type in just one bottle or go to www.kellymom.com

GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• you can switch formulas if you're baby will let you. but both my kids got constipated if i tried, until they were about 4 months old and then i was able to switch brands. as far as the can't being able to breastfeed, don't worry about the people that are going to attack you for even thinking that. everyones different and if it doesn't work for you don't feel bad about it. just make sure that whatever formula you use, when you do switch its the same general type (like the previous post said soy based, milk based etc..) try switching and give it 2 days if baby seems normal and ok w/it than its fine, if not go back to what you were using.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• GaillAZ , the woman came on here asking a question GET OFF HER CASE for crying out loud!! Not EVERY woman can breastfeed, some people have problems where they can't others can't because of other issues with their life and for some breastfeeding just doesn't work for personal reasons. It isn't your place to sit here and say a person is wrong for being prepared with formula.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• oh and btw for the OP, you can switch between formulas as long as they are the same (IE Similac w/ Iron, Enfamil w/Iron , Parents Choice w/ Iron, etc etc)
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 9:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You "can" switch formulas. However, some babies don't take well to a lot of switching, and it does take about a total of 2 weeks to know if there is any effect or not with the new formula (one week for the old to get out of their system, one for the new to be completely in their system) It's really not a good idea to keep switching it around.

But if one switch goes well, it's probably going to be easier for your baby to switch than for some others. It's usually not recommended to make a lot of switches.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh looky...the breastfeeding nazi...er...Militant Breastfeeding Cult...has shown up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You know that was the one response about breastfeeding that was not rude! I've seen alot worse! I agree and I'm a formula mommy! There have been plenty of times that I wished that I had breastfed rather than formula for our twins! I was going to have to go back to work and my work environment isn't exactly conducive to pumping. My daughter has been on 4 different formulas because the formula that she tolerated best got discontinued! Then she had an allergic reaction to another. Then another gave her acid reflux. I'm kicking myself because I think that she wouldn't have had these problems if we had opted to breastfeed. Also, think about the cost! We spend almost $600/ month on formula for the 2 of them!

To answer your question, you can switch, but I would not switch if you find one that works. If you are worried about that 3am feeding, pump! Get a good support system and educate yourself and ask questions! Best of luck!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Kalebsmommee- NOWHERE did GaillAZ say the OP is WRONG for being prepared with formula. She's offering ENCOURAGEMENT so this mommy doesn't have to go that route if it's not NECESSARY. That's what this mommy needs.

And Anon :08, I can tell you where to shove your comment if you'd like.

OP: If in the event that you HAVE to use formula, use the basic milk-based kind. If your baby doesn't tolerate it, move to something more gentle. However, I advise to avoid store brand, especially parent's choice, as their MAIN ingredient is Corn Syrup Solids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009