Anyone have a recipe for homemade tomato sauce or marinara?

A co-worker gave me a LOAD of tomatoes from her garden and I would love to make my own sauces but I've never done it and am unsure of myself. I tried looking on the Food Network for a recipe. I want a recipe for sauces I can store for later use, not just for cooking and eating it right away. Anyone have any ideas or recipes? Any help would be welcomed.

GMR

Asked by GMR at 8:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• The best tomato sauce ever:
    Put the tomatoes for a minute in hot water so you can peel them. Cook 4 pounds of peeled tomatoes with 2 sticks unsalted butter and a handful of fresh basil for 1 hour, after that salt it!
    It's so easy and sooo good!!!

After it's finished you can put the tomato sauce in small containers and freeze it!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 9:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ciPut a stockpot on the stove, turn the heat to medium. Pour in some olive oil, add diced onion and minced garlic. When the onion starts to turn translucent, add diced mushrooms and shredded zucchini. Add chopped tomatoes (that have been peeled and seeded). Add a finely diced carrot, add water, stock or broth as needed. Add seasoning: basil, oregano, a few crushed fennel seeds, a little bit of cracked black pepper.

Turn heat down low, stir and cover. Let simmer for several hours (at least six). Cool and refrigerate over night. The next day, reheat, season to taste with herbs, salt and pepper. If it is too acidic, add a teeny bit of sugar.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• another idea is to just core the toamatoes and freeze in a ziplock bag. when you take them out to cook with (1 at a time if needed!) just run under hot water and the skin slips right off.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2009