What would happen if my husband filed bankruptcy?

He wants to stop using the credit cards but says he still has to pay the balances?He says;he can't stop using them,why?He doesn't have a job or had one in years.Need help fast!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• In most states the husband's debts are the wife's debts.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't know what he ment by he can't stop using them,he didn't mean he was addicted to them.He said he can't use checks because he doesn't have money in the bank,that's not true but the credit cards lets him borrow money,so I think he's scared of being without those safety nets,credit cards,to me they're mud pits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If he does not have a job, he probably will not be able to file. We have tried to file twice, and were told both times that we did not make enough money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It will affect your credit too. He needs credit counseling before he destroys his credit even more and then yours too. He also needs to find a job, any job to help pay his credit cards down. He should CLOSE the accounts and just keep paying the balance down.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sounds like he needs to grow up. He needs to stop spending and he can if he makes a choice to stop. Then pay the debt off. You are married to a child and he will bring you down with him if he does not grow up soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Tough situation! My dad is a bankruptcy attorney; and if he doesn't think he can stop spending; then he needs to at least get a job to pay for his debt since credit cards are not just free money.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• He needs to get a job. The best thing to do with credit cards is to keep them, but don't use them. You can still keep them so he has his "safety net," but that's ONLY to be used for emergencies. Then, after he gets a job, he needs to call the credit card companies, tell them the situation and see if he can get a freeze on the interest, or what type of deal they will make with him so he can begin to pay them off. In most cases, they probably will not make him pay off the entire balance.
    But first - he needs to get a job, I'm not sure why he doesn't have one!

Answer by missanc at 9:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009