Ways to instill a habit....??? A good habit : )

What kind/type of task or chore do I ask a 7 yr. girl to start/trying to do? I was thinking of having her do something simple like just picking up first, than maybe putting away silverwear. I also need to know how to help her get through her thumbsucking habit. Thank you ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• At 7 years old she should already be doing simple chores like helping clean up after dinner, putting silverware & non breakables away, Helping with the trash, Dusting, Sweeping, Sorting laundry, etc etc.. These are all the things that my 4 year old does so I know a 7 year old is more than capable of doing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• At 7 my kids were cleaning their rooms, vaccuuming, helping with laundry, dusting,

As for the thumbsucking, constantly tell her to take it out of her mouth. Only constant reminders is going to break the habit.

You could also tell her there are more germs under her nail than there are in a toilet. Might gross her out enough to make her think twice.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My seven year old has had chores since he started kindergarten.
    He has always been expected to clean up after himself since he was about three (pick up dirty clothes and put toys away), He puts his plate away when he is done eating, I trained him on how to change the bathroom trash, He can vacuum if the vacuum is a lighter one (Although i dont typically have him do that one often)
    and this year we are learning how to wash dishes. He gets to wash all the plastic things including the baby bottles which is the biggest help ever. And he likes that he can earn an allowance.
    as far as healthy habits I for the life of me cannot get him to "completely" bathe himself his ears and hair are the biggest challenge and he wont brush his teeth unles i tell him too. so when we get all that figured out ill let you know how it happened LMAO
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 8:41 PM on Aug. 20, 2009