Kitten Help!!

So my sister decided 2 buy my son a kitten for his bday.... I DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE HOW TO RAISE A CAT!! I had a very sheltered childhood and the only pet I had was a fish!!! I need any and all advice on how to raise a kitten... Her name is Mittens and she is 5wks old!! HELP!!!

ronica04

Asked by ronica04 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pets

• DON'T lock the kittly in the kennel! Get a litter box for her. Place her in it, then take her front paws and run them through the nice clean litter. She will know what to do then! (Cats are naturally housebroken--Dogs not so much!) Keep food and especially water down for her all day, she is a baby and can't hold enough food to nourish her all day long. DON'T GIVE HER MILK! If sheis going to be at home alone all day, you need to put her bed, her food and water dishes and her litter box all in the same room--but not together--she won't go to the bathroom near her food. . Keep her confined this room while you are gone at first. Later she can have the run of the house.
    Take her to the vet for a well kitten check-up and to start her shots. She will need 3 shots as a baby. She should be spayed soon and PLEASE don't get her declawed--it's not pulling her fingernails out at the roots, it's cutting her fingers off at the knuckle.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• well fix a litter box for her and give her some soft food 2xs a day and water and thats it a cat is way easier then a dog they dont require much attention and are automactilly litter trained just show them where it is and they will alwyas go to it.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sister brought her over last night.... So I went to the store... I got her some of the soft kitten food (in little pouches). And I have been giving her 1/2 pouch in AM and 1/2 pouch in PM. And some water. Also got her the liter box with liter...lol. She hasn't had any accidents anywheres, but has only gone pee 2x since last night. And she hasn't pooped. :( She has only drank about a half of the water bowl. It is only one of those little 2 divided dishes for cats. Is that normal???? I have no clue!! I love her but I am the worst person to own an animal because I have no idea what I am doing!! LOL.... Not a joke either! :( And, I bought one of those small pet carriers for a "bed" for her... Do I really have to lock her in that all day??? Should I till she gets used to the house? I did while I went to work this morning only because it was the first day she was here and no1 was home at all to make sure she is ok... HELP
    ronica04

Answer by ronica04 at 9:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• First thing you should do is take her to the vet and get her checked out. We just adpoted a kitten on Monday from the humane society and she has worms =(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with everything that pagan_mama said.

Take her to the vet to get her checked out (for worms, etc.), talk about getting shots (I know it sometimes sounds ridiculous to people who haven't had pets, but they need vaccinations too to stay healthy), and talk about spaying. Your vet can also give you advice about kitten raising.

But, in my experience, cats are pretty easy.

Leave her food and water out all day and night. Most cats self-regulate and only eat as much as they need at a time. (My cat is 17 and has never had weight problems.) Litter box training is easy--ask your vet for additional tips.

Kitty won't want to sleep in a crate; go to a pet store and ask about cat beds (usually a round, fluffy bed). Cats like small, warm space that are elevated; put the bed on a chair or couch.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have to say I agree with everyone else. However, when we got our kittie at 6wks, she was still so little and having a hard time eating food, so we went to Wal-mart and bought "Cats Milk". Its made by Whiskas and its special milk for kittens. She loved it and thrived so well after getting her that. We only gave her a little bowl of it once a day but she was like in kittie-heaven! lol
    mommyhedden

Answer by mommyhedden at 9:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• take her to vet for check up. my sister has 2 kittens that she was asked to help with when they were a week old. she fed them by bottle and helped them go to bathroom. they are 4 months old now. and they are doing fine. you can not spay them til 6months old. i also have a 17 year old cat. unfortunately i believe she has had a stroke and is blind in 1 eye but still around. but anywho a cat is self sufficent but they do need the tlc but they will let you know when. if need any more help you can pm me.
    dragonbabe

Answer by dragonbabe at 10:55 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• buy a kitten booklet in the pet dept. of Walmart
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:31 AM on Aug. 21, 2009