Does this really work?

I read on a website that you can nurse your baby in a sling. REALLY? That's freakin awesome if true. Not that I'd be doing it ALL the time, but it would be really handy during the day when I'm trying to take care of a 1 and 3 year old. I'm gonna be new to breastfeeding when this baby comes.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! I had an 18 month old when I had my most recent baby, and we finally hooked up the sling nursing. It wasn't every nursing, but when the toddler needs a sandwich, the toddler needs a sandwich. And don't get me started on potty training, which we did with a 3 month old in tow. It is a useful skill to have. When you've got a kid on the toilet trying to fish out their poop with their foot, you aren't going to be bonding with the new baby anyway. But at least you can feed her.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yes, but you probley shouldnt be up and walking around when you are actually feeding your baby, its a special bonding experience.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol yea that's true. i wasn't walking around when i was feeding my other kids so i guess it shouldn't be any different this time. but atleast there is the option if i really need to do something.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• YES! And forget what PP said. Sure, it's a bonding experience, but good golly you can bond AND walk. We're women, we can multi-task! I nurse in a sling all the time.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Numerous times I have taken baby out of the carseat and popped him into the sling and been getting him latched WHILE my 3 y/o was dragging me to the swings at the park. My mom walked in one time when I was doing the dishes and had the baby in the wrap nursing and my mom was all "oh, you're doing the dishes... AND feeding the baby???". lol

So, 100% possible and very, very useful. Nursing is bonding.. but when they nurse 12+ times a day there is plenty of time to bond, no reason not to get things done while baby nurses some of the time!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• congrats on the awesome decision to nurse! you will do great, especially planning ahead like this and thinking things through!!!
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 1:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yes and I did it all the time. I actually found it easier to nurse in a wrap then a sling though. Yes nursing is a bonding experience, but especially if you have other children it is very helpful to be able to do it while doing something else sometimes too. Part of the reason a lot of women give for not wanting to nurse is because they don't want to have to sit and nurse all day and doing it in a sling allows them more freedom.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2009