What can I give my 2 1/2 year old?

My son who is 2 1/2 he has been constipated for a week now. So I was wondering what I could give him or if I should just bring him to the Dr. Thank you any advice would be great!

jziegler

Asked by jziegler at 9:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• fruits, fruit juices (strawberries, and apples always work for my daughter), and if those don't work karo syrup
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Castor oil. It's disgusting, though. Cereals, grains. Try abstaining from milk for a while, he could be mildly lactose-intolerant. My son grew out of it, but that's how he was, too. If you want to give him milk, goat's is milder. Since one can become used to lactose, I'm slowly weaning my son from nothing to goat's milk, and now from goat's milk to organic cow's milk (for some reason he tolerates this better than regular - I think it tastes better, but I can't drink it at all!).
    grainneferguson

Answer by grainneferguson at 9:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sorry, also, if he hasn't gone at all in the week - take him straight to the doctor.
    grainneferguson

Answer by grainneferguson at 9:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He has gone but only once a day as he used to go 2-3 times a day. But when he does go it's the little balls and he has to work so hard for those little balls to come out (tmi sorry) He goes threw good spells and bad spells with milk and we are just getting over a good spell he hasn't had any milk in about 5 days! Thank you for your advice!!
    jziegler

Answer by jziegler at 9:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• And somedays he hasn't gone at all! But maybe a little bit is better than none?
    jziegler

Answer by jziegler at 9:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• id take him to the doc...she might suggest an infant suppository.....tats what my sons doc had me do with him and it worked....some times the plumbing getts backed up and i needs a lil push if you know what im sayin
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'd push fluids... fruit cups are awesome and just fruit juice that isn't watered down. (I always water ours down unless I am trying to get their movements moving lol) Hmm... Citrus worked for my boys too... A little OJ and they were good to go. Yogurt regulates and you can get that in the cool sponge bob packets lol. I'd cut back on milk like the pp said... also try prunes. I might have some baby food one left over from J if you want me to bring em. You could put sprinkles in em to get him to eat them if you wanted to try :)
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Lots of water, and prune juice if he'll drink it. You can mix it with apple juice to make it taste better. If he eats raisins or craisins those work well. They can be a choke hazard thought, so if you haven't given them to him before check with his dr first.
    You can also lay him on his back and "bicycle" his legs if he'll hold still.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 11:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I give mine a banana or grapes
    kilgore5l

Answer by kilgore5l at 12:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Apple juice. Water. No milk, cheese, yogurt. Oranges, fresh or canned. Apples - fresh, with the skin. No karo syrup. A little bit of coke or pepsi, or coffee (decaf/caffeine free works too), or hot chocolate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009