Molded Peaches

How come my peaches that I bought in South Carolina from a stand in a small town that has miles and miles and miles of peach tree farms all molded after 3 days, yet the store bought ones will last me so much longer? I figured the fresh ones would last longer.

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I wonder if the store bought ones have been treated with an anti-mold chemical to give them longer shelf life. If you keep them in the refrigerator when they are ripe, it will help them last longer. The ones in the store may also not be as ripe when you bring them home- again for long shelf life in the store, where those bought at stands may be riper. And here's a third thought, when I buy from stands I don't buy it if it has been sitting out in the sun and heat.

Answer by Bmat at 9:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Also, the mass-production farm has bred the peaches you find in the grocery store for long shelf-life. The ones you buy from the farm stand are (hopefully) bred for flavor.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• all the peaches i have gotten this summer from farmers markets or orchards have molded within a few days. peaches should be kept at room temperature but refrigeration will slow the process.
    i have found just the opposite, the orchard fruit cannot compare to grocery store varieties here. i have since quit shopping for peaches at the orchards or markets and now buy only in the grocery stores. they taste better, look better and last longer AND are cheaper
    surprisingly i live a few miles from Forsyth GA, home of the largest peach producers in the world!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Thanks for the advice y'alls! Jewjewbee I actually used to live in Barnesville real close to you!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009