Navy Wives?

My husband is thinking about joining the Navy. Anyone have any advice/stories...good or bad? Plus we are thinking about living on whatever base he's stationed at. How is life on a base? Still stressfull? or no? We can't find any negatives other than him being gone for long periods of time.

Bmanda352

Asked by Bmanda352 at 9:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• the pay isn't perfect, but it is regular and he won't lose his job. hours are never regular (could not work for 2 days than work 13 hours one day etc...) as far as living on base, some housing is so old its falling apart some is great, same with the neighborhoods but most will be more helpful and friendly b/c they are all military away from home and possibly spouses as well. thats just some basics if you have more specific questions let me know. there are a few navy wife and military wife groups on here where you can ask about anything and everything and military spouses love to help b/c we've all been there. :)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The navy is a good career to consider. All the benefits are great. My hubby has been in for about 8 years now and the only thing that is bad for us is when he goes on deployments. We miss him alot during those times and you never get use to that. Living in military housing is good too because all of you utilities are included in the rent so we don't have to worry about paying separate bills outside of phone, car, cable etc. They also have alot of free activities for the children that live in navy housing. For the most part the housing is off base. It's so much more to explain. If you want you can PM me and I can let you know alot more info.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thanks :). I don't even know where to begin with my questions. I just want a secure future for my son and working dead end jobs in this economy aren't getting us anywhere!
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 10:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• oh joy. Navy stories. my ol man got out in 87. i'm sure things have changed since then.
    does anyone still remember FTN? i bet it still applies!
    ok seriously, my ol man began as a UDT welding specialist and was relocated to engineering in the boiler room. best thing ever. demand for this skill is high, the pay is high and there will always be jobs.
    if he joins the navy, dont let a recruiter steer him into a career that the USN is in short supply of. its better to research the civilian jobs and correlate that with some kind of navy school and field.
    Navy schools are some of the hardest schools in the Nation to pass, good luck girl.
    If he is smart enough for Navy Nuke school, he will get a job when he gets out starting at $100,000 a year in most places.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009