How to cure Constipation in a newborn?

I think my baby may be constipated, she grunts and turns pretty red, but she hasn't had a poopy diaper in 2 days...she's only 5 days old. Is think normal? How to I get her bowels moving?

Samie8183

Asked by Samie8183 at 9:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she is 5 days old you need to consult your doctor. She should be having bowl movements every day at this age. They will either have you come in or suggest something for you to use like a baby suppository or oil. a soda bath couldnt hurt though. You take baking soda and mix it in a warm bath and have her soak in it for like 15 min. The soda helps the baby to relaxe her sphincter and usually they will have a bowl movement in the tub... so be prepared! :)
    MsMallory09

Answer by MsMallory09 at 9:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I know it is normal for a Formula fed baby not to poop every day or even every few days. My first child would go four or five days without pooping. They are constipated if the poop comes out in balls. Then you may want to try a little karo syrup in his/her bottle but i'd talk to someone at a pharmacy before doing it. They're the ones who told me to do it and it worked but i forget how much they said to use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 1/2 a teaspoon of karo dark syrpe in her bottle once a every feeding for 1 day if that doesnt help move up to 1 teaspoon if it doesnt work the next day call ur dr. thats what my new mommie guide my dr gave me.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• she is still learning how to work her bowels, it is normal for them to grunt and turn red etc... It is also normal not to have a BM everyday or every few days, babies can go up to a week and still be normal. If it comes out hard, that is constipation. If she does have constipation ask her ped, alot has changed since my youngest was a baby, so I am sure things have changed LOL.. Some say water, others juice and others karo syrup, which is no longer recommended, so I would ask her ped what is safe...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would call your doctor...I am not sure with a newborn. If your bottle feeding I know that my daughter would go a day or two with out a poopy diaper and be ok but if your breastfeeding...i don't have an answer for you.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Nurse. Breastmilk is a natural laxitive and it's really good for your baby.

Babies this age aren't able to relax their sphincters on demand, so it's normal for them to grunt and turn red, but she should be pooping at least 4 times a day by now. Formula is very constipating... I strongly encourage you to consider nursing. If she's already having bowel trouble after only a few days, that does not bode well for the rest of her first year... KWIM?

Other than that, call your doctor.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• " she should be pooping at least 4 times a day by now."

you are crazy if you think every baby is going to poop 4 times a day. My kids didn't poop 4 times a week and I breastfed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with the karo dark syrup trick! it should work my dr told me to use it for my son and he was 6 wks early. if it doesnt work then ask ur dr. there are other was to help ur baby!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 10:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thanks for everyone's help. I've just started to nurse yesterday...my milk suppy hadn't come in and I couldn't get her to latch on, so in the hospital we gave her formula and that continued until yesterday untill I could pump.
    Samie8183

Answer by Samie8183 at 10:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• use the clear karo as it has none of the impurities dark has.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009