He goes to church for social reasons only and admits it...

I am trying not to judge my fiance's 16 year old brother who openly hates religion and thinks church and the very idea of God are stupid. He goes to church with his mother only to look at the girls and socialize with the guys. I am DEEPLY offended but no one thinks it is my business and his mom is just glad he is going. How should I react? How should my fiance react?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Remember God can cause change in a person's heart when they least expect it. God is bigger than all the human excuses or reasons for not believing. Stop worrying about why this young man is there and start praying for his heart.

I have to say that your "offence" seems rather ill placed. This young man is not hurting you or your fiance in any manor. You may find that as you pray for him your heart may change too.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:05 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Why does it really matter to you? A lot of people now don't believe in God. At 16, if you really find it to be any of your business, you should just be glad he's picking a church to go to for "social" reasons rather than being out on the streets doing "GOD" knows what...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Do you go to church for him or for yourself and your God? What is in his heart should have no bearing on your relationship with your God and your going to church.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would just be glad that he is going.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 10:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He is not the only one. Many adults only go to church to socialize, gossip, to be a part of something. When I think back to being a teenager who attended church, I don't remember the sermons. I remember the parties, activities, the drama! I call my father's church the poor man's country club.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 10:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• God doesn't need your righteous indignation for Him. Let it go. It's your job to forgive and deal with your own relationship with God not that of others. You judging the brother is a sin that is just as bad as what he is doing so work on your own life.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• None of your business.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I thought Christian churches were supposed to be open & welcoming to anyone who wants to attend.... and aren't Christians constantly trying to get non-believers in the doors?

I don't understand why you're offended.

I have to agree --- it's none of your business.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You have a right to your feelings. There is no right to not be offended.

But as to how you react? What possible good do you think you could do by saying you're offended? Perhaps you could get him to stop going to church. Is that an acceptable outcome?

No, you won't change his attitude by saying that you're offended. This is the age where a lot of kids think religion is stupid.

Let God deal with Brother. God knows what he's doing.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• If God is number one here then you can be happy that he is there. I know what you mean to see people at church that are not serious about God and think its a joke but who are we to say who can and cannot be there. Like gdiamante said, "Let God deal with Brother. God knows what he's doing. " And God does know what he is doing, he does not make mistakes and God know that he is there for social reasons and God can still use that to Glorify himself and bring a true commitment out of your brother in law. Like we say about people like that in our church, "they are just making their testimony, one day he will talk about how he USED to go to church to socialize"
    cynthiaesquivel

Answer by cynthiaesquivel at 4:58 AM on Aug. 20, 2009