At what age are teenagers old enough to babysit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the person. My daughter started at around 13. Sounds young. However having a special needs little brother taught her responibility and paitence. She could take care of him better than most adults. She has always had a way with little children. Yet, other teens may be irresponsible. The Red Cross offers a wonderful babysitting/cpr class you may want to check into for the teen you are considering becoming a babysitter.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 10:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well I was babysitting at 13, but I wouldn't hire a 13 year old to watch my kids. Kids today are so different than when I was growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• On post regs state 13 but that is limited to a few hours. At least, they said that in Germany. But, I would say, for a couple hours, like running to the store or something I'd do 13.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• it depends on the maturity of the teen, i know one 13 yr who babysits her 4 younger brother and sisters
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I started at 11. The woman was a nurse and let me choose if I wanted it to be FT or PT. Her son was almost 2.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• by law in most states 13 however know your child best and you know if they are mature enough to be watching a younger child or not.
    lalasha

Answer by lalasha at 11:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I began babysitting at age 12. When we lived in FL the police told us it was illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to baby sit, although I know kids as young as 12 who did baby sit.

(In Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, I know some parents who pay kids as young as 12 one hundred dollars an hour to baby sit.

I am a cheap mom, I still pay only five dollars an hour to baby sit. I have not had a sitter in a couple years.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was babysitting my moms best friends five boys at 11. I guess it depends on the kid that's babysitting. Then again I was 11 about 13 yrs ago lol
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i was paid to babysit starting at age 9. i would NEVER leave my kid with a 9 y/o, nor would i let my 9 y/o babysit. i was grateful for the cash though...
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 12:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 14 or 15 thats when reality starts 2 set in. lol but its true. may be even 16 to be on the safe side.
    jamerz89

Answer by jamerz89 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2009