My grandma left me some money that I didn't know about and now I don't think I can spend it.

Ok, so my grandma died when I was five..so it was awhile ago. I didn't know about the money. It's a 1000 dollar savings bond and has accumulated interest. I'm moving to a place where I don't have a job (it's for school, but still crazy I know) and I could really use this money. I feel bad because I feel like it's not what she wanted me to use the money for....like she wanted me to do something great with it. And to top it all off, my dad says I'm the only grandkid that still has theirs. This is out of eight kids. And that makes me feel worse. You know? My question is, would you use it for this purpose or what?

Oh and this is no longer accumulating interest so I'm not going to make anymore money off of it. So it's like I either spend it or not.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well... you're moving to a place where you'll have no job... but it's for school. If you used it to support yourself while at school until you could find a job... I really don't see anything wrong with that. I think it's better than going out and.. buying a TV or something like that.
    If you're that uncomfortable with it, forget all about it - and open up a CD account, and it'll once again accumulate interest.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Use the money. Your grandma would be proud to be helping you better yourself by going to school! Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but you will be using this money to help support yourself while you are receiving an education?

Hmmm....................I'm pretty sure that would make Grandma very happy.

She left if for you for something like this. If you said you were having a keg party..................then.......
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Use it! Make Grandma proud! Don't forget to study!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If your Grandma were here today and you needed the money (and she had it to give to you) I'm sure she would happily give it to you?? I say use it and YAY for you for going to school
    CoolMommyofboys

Answer by CoolMommyofboys at 10:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I just feel like I'm letting her down for some reason...Like I was supposed to keep it forever or something.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I doubt your grandma expected you to keep the bond forever. She was probably planning on it going for you education. My grandparents and parents both bought savings bonds for me with the idea I would use them to pay for college.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Couldn't you cash it in and start a new CD or bond and start accumulating interest of your own off from what she has given you?
    orkibe3

Answer by orkibe3 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I could cash it and invest it....I haven't been told I couldn't. My dad just said save it or use it for school.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You're using it to move closer to your old man...literally. And $1,000 plus interest isnt' much at all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009