is ir marking pee or just pee? is there a differnce? how 2 stop?!?!

my cat pee's in the same spot
IT SMELLS LIKE AMMONIA!
and i think him and the rest of them poop there too.
how do i train them?
how do i get it out of cement and carpet and towels?
PLEASE HELP!! if i dont find an answer we might have 2 give him 2 shelter.thanks :)

mamacita4two

Asked by mamacita4two at 10:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Oh wow, i doubt its spraying then. If he seems to be doing it uncontrollably it may be an infection. I cant think of why he wouldn't be using his litter pan, its usually instinctual for them to this. If he is an old cat, it could be that he is just getting to that stage. Most cats make a lot of mistakes when they get old. Wish I could help more... Hope you can find a way of getting him to stop.. too many cats being killed for unnecessary reasons in shelters. Good luck.

Also, try posting this question on the aspca's forum, there are lots of people who know plenty about cats.
    http://aspcacommunity.ning.com/forum/categories/658300:Category:186/listForCategory
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 12:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Well first off I would get the cats neutered before handing them off to a shelter, if he is spraying then this will solve the issue. Secondly, try using vinegar to get the odor out and try keeping him in an area close to his litter box. Good luck, I know how awful spraying smells which is why I would never have a male cat that isnt neutered.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol he is neutered! thats the problem! lol its so hard,and thanks for the advice
    mamacita4two

Answer by mamacita4two at 11:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Apple cider vinegar will neutralize the ammonia smell. You may have to use it several times. Mix it liberally, at least 1 cup to 1 gallon warm water. Put the litter box on the spot where they "go" if possible, then slowly day by day move it to the door (if you want them to bathroom outside,) or to wherever the litter box is to stay if it's going to be inside. Keep the litter box very clean, and don't put it near their food or they won't use it.
    If possible shampoo the carpet and use apple cider vinegar in the final rinse on that too. I know it smells, but it won't last and it's a heck of a lot better than smelling cat pee.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Get Urine Off from vet and use in the spot. It breaks down the enzymes in the urine. Because even though we can't smell it they still can.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 1:27 AM on Aug. 21, 2009