Please help. Has anyone experienced this?

This is the second night in a week that my son (6 months) has woken up in a panic. When I run up to make sure he's okay I find him screaming but not moving. When I pick him up I find that his arms are up but bent at a 90 degree angle and his neck stiff. It only seems to last a few minutes but he's pretty freaked out about it for a while. Keep in mind, my son never cries. He's just a baby who whines but never cries so this is scary for us. Has anyone seen this? Is it just his limbs are falling asleep and he's scared or... He's also teething. No fever but also no napping so he's going to bed extra early.

Cartersmom09

Asked by Cartersmom09 at 10:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could be night terrors, which aren't odd. But, with the stiffness, is he starting to crawl? If so, could he be getting muscle cramps?
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 10:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sounds like night terrors. 2 of my DD's had/have them off and on. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. Its scary and you feel helpless, but there's nothing you can really do for them besides comfort. Most kids do grow out of it though. I'm sorry you guys are going through this!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 10:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my kids both did this on occasion as little ones...he could have collic...the stomach pain is what caused mine to freak out like that out of a dead sleep...try some collic drops before bed...
    Micahbabysmommy

Answer by Micahbabysmommy at 10:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• From my experience with night terrors, they usually don't start until children are around 2yrs. old. Maybe it could be reflux? My youngest used to do this, but with arching of his back. Laying down makes acid reflux worse. Just something to think about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• have you discuse this with your doctor. For if he is stiffing he may be going into a seizure for that is what my mother said I did when I went into them when I was a baby. For there is all kinds of different kinds of seizures. Maybe you should request for him to get an EEG done for I had to have a lot of those when I was little. For it is scarey for a child that don't understand what is happening. Don't know if this help or got you more nervous just a suggesting to ask his doctor about. If you have any family members that is epileptic it makes a higher risk for you child. For my kids are at very high risk for I have it. I have the small seizures which last only for a few seconds and I also have granmal seizures when my whole body just falls to the ground.
    jen020309

Answer by jen020309 at 10:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i agree with jen020309..i was just watching a show about that a couple days ago..talk to your ped as soon as you can!!
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• has he gotten shots recently?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:18 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

•  OMG the poor little man,Honestly I think he might be too young for night terrors. Seizures DO sound more like it. Please get little man to a Pedi/neuro. It COULD turn into something much worse. I say could, mama so you don't freak out. My intention is not to scare you.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Night terrors are uncommon in kids this young, not unheard of. 2 of my DD's both started them around this age. They are now ages 1 and 3, the 1 y/o hasn't had one since she was about 11 months old, and the 3 y/o stopped having hers around 2 y/o. Its a terrifying thing to witness, but they will grow out of it.
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 4:02 PM on Aug. 20, 2009