Any one experience night terrors in teenagers?

When no night terrors prior just started with puberty.

jecmom

Asked by jecmom at 10:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Have Doctor check their tonsils. They may be really huge, and if this is so, your teen probably has night terrors due to sleep apnea (stops breathing while sleeping). If this is the case, then all you need to do is have the tonsils removed, and problem solved. (Experience from family cases of this) Then you don't have to get them all sorts of meds and unneccesary stuff to help them sleep. Sounds like an odd diagnosis, but this is most likely the cause.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 11:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No recent medication of any sort? When I was a teen I was given a prescription to help me sleep better at night. After taking it for a month or so with no results I stopped taking it. Shortly afterwards I had horrible night terrors. Even if your teenager has been on any sort of antibiotic or anything lately you may want to take that into consideration as well. Medication can do many things to one's body, especially a teenager going through puberty.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My kid had a couple episodes of "sleep walking". I think of night terrors as waking up screaming -- this was equal fear, but with action involved. He was out of his room, out of the house, and hiding in the neighbor's yard in SECONDS. That's where he 'woke up' within a couple minutes. Similar episode the next night, but we caught up to him quicker. One more episode much later.

For him, it was brought on by stress. Both times he was heading into a big change (leaving on a mission trip w/o parents the first time, on college visitations the second)

My mil has night terrors, but she was a child in WW2 Germany. She wakes up from actual memories.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 1:50 PM on Aug. 20, 2009