how can I get my 4 year old excited for pre-k?

My daughter is starting pre-k for the first time on Sept. 9th. I have been trying so hard to get her excited. We went shopping for new clothes and backpack, I keep telling her about all the friends she'll make and the fun she'll have, but she keeps saying she doesnt want to go. I know the first day will be hard enough, I just want some ideas to get her excited.

ginger813

Asked by ginger813 at 10:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Many preschool programs have an open house just before the first day, but if yours does not, maybe you can schedule a short visit for your daughter to meet the teacher and see the classroom and all of the toys, playground, her cubbie, etc. Talk with her about specific things she will get to do. Play in the house area, blocks, make things in the art area with paint, glue, etc. If you think that separating from you will be difficult, then read her the story, "The Kissing Hand" It is a wonderful story about going to school and leaving mommy. Visiting the classroom will also help with this issue! On the first day, you probably will need to stop at the classroom door and say your goodbyes. Do not linger for a long time, just say goodbye and go. The longer you stay, the worse it will be for you both. She will be fine! Most stop being upset within five minutes after you leave!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 2:51 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• maybe she just needs to fine out for herself. hopefully when she starts she will realize how fun it is. my daughter can't wait i did what u did and that got her so stoked to go so just have patients and encourage her she will come around when she is ready
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 11:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son was really excited to go to Preschool to play with all of the new children. He was so happy to have new friends and new play dates! Maybe it will help your daughter if you tell her about all the fun she can have socializing with new playmates. Of course it always helps to mention how much of a "big girl" she is going to be ( like an older sibling perhaps? )
    MommyOplenty

Answer by MommyOplenty at 12:54 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Hi I am a preschool teacher take your daughter on a walk thru so she can get familiar with the class and how other kids interact show where the bathrooms are where everything is like the cubbies/ lunchroom where she will be sitting just to get her familiar with it maybe she thinks everything will be out of reach if she relizes that all the kids are at eye level it willl ease her mind and yours good luck!!
    crazedmom33

Answer by crazedmom33 at 3:07 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• thanks everyone for the advice. There is an orientation day on August 26th, I'm really hoping that it helps. Her older cousin is starting first grade this year, and she even tried to tell Savannah how much fun school is, but it didn't really work. I think the biggest problem will be seperating from me. I just hope that once she gets there, it will be easier for her.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• good luck my little girl just started pre k last week and she cries every morning and everytime i pick her up she begs and don't want to go back....hopefully she will get use to it and like it better after a whille....gl
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 11:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My daughter starts on Monday so far she's exicted to go, everyday she cries cause she wants to go to school. I'm hoping she's like my niece: when my niece got out the car, she was like ok bye mom! So, well, see how exicted she is to go to school!
    PcillaCoronado

Answer by PcillaCoronado at 11:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Does your school have an open house? I took my son with me to the "meet and greet" he was able to see the room, meet some of his class mates, talk to the teacher and play for awhile. He was really excited when we left and keeps asking when he gets to start. Also an issue that has come up is what I'll do while he's there. We talked about how I'll drop him off and pick him up and that I won't do anything too fun without him LOL
    PeytonNBella

Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2009