To those to have been through a divorce...

I have a friend who is currently going through a divorce. She has been married for 8 years, and they have two young boys. My heart is breaking for her, and I really want to be there for her. When you were going through your divorce, what are some things that friends did for you that really helped you out and helped you through? Other than prayers, I've offered to keep her boys and just be there to give a listening ear, but is there something else that you found to be helpful? Thank you so much to those of you who answer this question!

beccare2000

Asked by beccare2000 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• OK, I'll be the first to answer. I am not divorced yet but separated 8 months and working up the courage....I can tell you that just being there and letting her know you support her is a huge blessing. A big thing for me is to not always be asked about it. It's so nice to be able to spend time together without having to talk about it all the time (unless she wants to, ofcourse). Answering questions and talking about it to everyone all the time gets old fast and makes me kind of avoid people to tell you the truth. So just be there if she wants to talk and tell her you think she's great and she'll love you for it. You are a good friend to be so concerned about the right thing to do~ bless you!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would say take her for a girls night out dinner and a movie maybe or even drinks anything to get her away and free of all her drama. Good luck you sound like a great friend to have!
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 11:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was SO grateful for my friends during my divorce. They were always there to listen to me cry and vent.-even for the 100th time. Just be there for her....do not judge....take her out once in a while--shopping, comedy club, icecream.........and always agree that the ex is an ass! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Aug. 20, 2009