Spina Bifida question

Last week we found out my DH has spinda bifida occulta and I am 25 weeks pregnant. My OB is concerned about my baby and we are scheduled for a level 2 ultrasound to screen her for it. Has anyone else gone through this and what happened? If your baby has it, then what was/is the treatment? Thanks in advance for your help.

lilkgfan

Asked by lilkgfan at 10:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never gone through it personally, but I had a good friend in HS with spina bifida. He had to have spinal surgery when he was born,and he walked with a limp. My son, (has special needs), also went to school with a little boy with spina bifida, and he was very smart, but needed physical therapy and surgery as well.
    I hope that this baby doesn't have it, but at least you will know before hand, and can plan and prepare. Both of the people that I know where not affected mentally at all, I don't know much about it, though beyond what I saw. Good luck to you and your husband!!
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh! I just looked it up, and it said that spina bifida occulta is the mildest form,and doesn't require surgery. Most people don't even know they have it. It may cause a small dimple in the skin over the spine, or even a tiny bit of hair there, but is not debilitating like spina bifida Meningocele... So you and your baby should be fine!! (sorry if my last answer scared you!!!) *hugs*
    Elyssa414

Answer by Elyssa414 at 12:03 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• It will be ok. When my mom was pregnant with me they told her that I had spina Bifida and that I would never walk. Well when I was born the dr. was amazed to find that my Spina Bifida had stopped progressing and all you could see was a little dimple in my back, well it closed up on its own and I walk just fine. Sometimes when I'm on my period and I am having cramps that is where it hurts but other than that there is nothing wrong. I also have had a dd and she didnt have it at all and I am pregnant with my son and he doesnt have it. The dr never seemed to concerned about it so although they did a regular ultrasound they have never done anything else. Good Luck I am sure it will be fine
    Abbysmommy321

Answer by Abbysmommy321 at 8:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009