Do you compliment people for good service?

My hubby and I enjoyed a dinner out at Red Robin last week, and the waitress was really great! She seemed new, and she had to ask my hubby to slow down when he was ordering so she could write it down, and I thought she did everything in her power to make sure we were really satisfied. I was SO impressed I tracked down the manager to tell him about it. He looked very surprised when I didn't begin complaining, which leads me to wonder...
Do you compliment people for good service? The clerk at the grocery store, the waiter, or the receptionist who helped you find the write person? Or are we a nation of complainers?

brighteyesbryar

Asked by brighteyesbryar at 10:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I do. After being in the food service and striving to reach customer service perfection, I am really grateful when people go out of their way to make sure I feel welcomed and satisfied. One place that I usually recieve excellent customer service is Jack in the Box. I always let a manager know or leave a comment online that they are doing a great job, and to keep it up.
    Plus, from a manager/employee standpoint, it is great to bring up a compliment and inspires further supreme customer serivce. :)
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I usually compliment by leaving a larger tip than the 18%
    MotherHubbard78

Answer by MotherHubbard78 at 11:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I always do .. I usually go to the customer service desk and ask if they have a comment card I can fill out.
    Mom2princessq

Answer by Mom2princessq at 11:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I complement them when I have good service, and I do like you did - I will find their boss and tell them, too. Or, if it was REALLY great, I will also call the company comment line and tell them, as well.

Now, mind you, if we have REALLY bad service, I will also say something about that, too.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yes, I recently had to buy school supplies at Wal Mart. I was walking down the isle and talking to my son telling him what to look for. The sales rep was there and she went out of her way to show me where the items I needed where and the bargin ones. I wasn't the only one she helped out. There was a mom with 3 boys shopping for school supplies. So, when I got home, I made a point to call the manager and brag about her. You betcha. I will go out of my way to compliment someone. We need more praising in this World...there's not enough of it.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 11:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I do. I wonder if they ever hear about it when I tell their manager though. The managers where I work; whenever I get complimented for good service and they make a point to tell my manager, they don't care they just nod and don't say anything to me about it.(they barely speak English though, which doesn't help anyone). So hopefully where you are complimenting, they get some recognition.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sometimes I do but this post has reminded me that I don't do it enough Thanks for the reminder I will try harder to go out of my way to compliment!! THANKS!!
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 11:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I do. I also get the weird looks from managers. But I have been the person on the other side of the cash register, trying to give good service and I know those compliments mean a lot. So I tell them and the manager.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Yes, I do. Complimenting lets people know they're doing something right and encourages them to keep up the good work. Even if I'm unable to speak to a manager, I compliment the person to their face and let them know they're appreciated.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 1:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Sometimes I do...
    I called McDonalds one day because I got great service and the employees were so kind! I was really impressed considering they are probably making 7 bucks an hour. Anyway, I called and asked to talk to the manager and I said, "Hi I just went through the drive through" and He said "ugh what was wrong" I started laughing and said, "nothing at all I thought the boys did a great job and went above and beyond" and the manager said nothing for about 10 seconds and finally said, "oh thanks I'll let them know have a good day" I think he thought I was a weirdo LOL!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:08 AM on Aug. 20, 2009