how do I get to befriend family members I don't see much?

my sister in law's son's little girl is going to turn 1 years old.I'm invited to her birthday the problem is I don't know his wife's side of the family. What do I talk to them about. should I go up to them and introduce myself. or should I wait and have them come to me.?

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 11:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I think you should introduce yourself. That will show effort on your part! And just start simple with conversation. Try to let it flow; not force it or you'll be even more stressed. (I would imagine!)
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 11:49 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Since it sounds like you do want to get to know them, introduce yourself first. If they seem like talkative friendly people, continue on with a conversation. (If not, just say it was very nice to meet them and excuse yourself) And to help with conversation starters, ask your SIL about things they are interested in, like sports or cooking or hobbies and bring those things up in conversation.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009