How hard is it to find work at the library?

never worked in one before but would like to. Do you tink I have a chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in About CafeMom

• It really depends on who's running the library. In CA right now you'd probably have a tough time because the libraries in this state are going through cutbacks.

I worked as a page through college. The process involved a written test and then an interview. It's been over 30 years so I really don't recall what was on the test any more.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I worked at our public library before I had my son. I originally got a job as a page, shelving books, while I was in college. Then I applied for a half time clerk job working in the back. I did things like repairing books, preparing new books (putting labels on them, putting security tags on them, covering them, etc.) I took care of all the magazines and entered them into the computer. It was all easy stuff. Pretty boring, but I miss it every once in a while. I'm sure every library is different as far as hiring. At mine it was easy to get a job as a page, but after that all the jobs opened up interally first and were usually taken right away, so it would be harder for someone to come in from the outside and get a better job, but not impossible.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009