When should you stop burping a baby?

my dd just turned 6 months and im finding it harder to burp her now all of a sudden. sometimes i pat her back for what seems like forever and she doesnt burp so i just put her down. she doesnt throw up or anything so i was just wondering if its ok not to burp her and if not what age is it ok to not burp a child. (ex: 6 months, 9 months, a year)

thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think by the time they are sitting up on their own, the need to burp subsides a bit. They are strong enough to use those muscles without support so the air doesn't get as trapped. I would always do a little under arm lift up though...that worked better at letting out the burps most of the time than "patting" ever did.
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 11:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would say if she won't burp anymore when you try, you could stop. That's how I did it with my son.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter never burped a lot! Her doctor told me that 1 minute is long enough.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i haven't burped my child since she was 4months old she did it on her own by then
    onehotmama2lil1

Answer by onehotmama2lil1 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i stopped just like 2 weeks ago and mine is almost 3 months..i would sit there for about 20 mins trying to burp her and she wouldnt but then later on she would burp on her own..so as long as shes not throwing up and dont seem bothered by the gas before it comes out then your fine.
    MaciesMommy09

Answer by MaciesMommy09 at 12:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Mine is almost 6 months and i've stopped trying to burp her, she just want to get to the floor and play with her toys, but if she gets upset or has a burp still in her tummy i bounce her on my knee while she watchs tv
    Parisan

Answer by Parisan at 11:27 AM on Aug. 20, 2009