Does anyone uderstand SI (sencery intergration)

I read a lot about it for my son has it though I don't know how to help him. He gets really anxios in crowed gets overstemulated easily. Can't stand certain texture terrified of flies likes rough housing for he like pressure. I just don't know how to help him for he also has developement delay so it's hard for him to understand what is going on and is hard for me to explain to him for you can't make things you say to long for you loose him.

jen020309

Asked by jen020309 at 11:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Check out Cafemom's group, Asperger's Syndrome: Sensory Seekers and  Sensory Avoider's.

I have a son who is a sensory seeker.  Some things bother him, such as vacuum cleaners, thunder, but mostly he craves sensory input. it is like his nerves never fully developed and craves intense stimuation in way of strong foods, anything tactile, he does not understand limits in touch. (we got a puppy and having her has helped oddles and bunches}

He also stemms, makes repetitive movements such as hand flapping, snapping his finers, tapping the wall... We ar decreasing his dairy and he is doing better. We are trying to figure out how to get him off glutem, anything with flour.

I have seen some improvement with a small diet change. We also try and aviod red and yellow and blue food coloring.

I hope your check our our group.

See ya there

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sensory integration sounds very complicated however it is very easy to implement with everday items you already have in your home. Your son liking to wrestle and rough house is an excellent opportunity to give him sensory input by simply appropriately wrestling with him, of course taking care not to hurt him. "Squishing" him between sofa pillows (not his face) but his body is another good way to give him input. Swinging is another excellent source of sensory input. As for the textures issues, you can start out real slow and let him play with his hands in shaving cream (take care not to let him put it in his mouth), play with PlayDoh, jello, pudding etc and as he eases into and becomes ok with these types of textures, he will soon graduate to thicker, more course textures. You don't really need to explain anything to him, just play with him with these items and he won't even realize he is actually getting SI therapy.
    Kristin21

Answer by Kristin21 at 11:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There is also a couple of books I would recommend "The out of sync child" and "the out of sync child has fun" they are chocked full of tips and helps.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 12:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My middle son had some sensory issues when he was young. Have you read anything on the brushing technique? We used that with him and joint compression, started doing it every 2 hours during the day when he was like 18 months old, then went to every 3 hours, then every 4 and so on. My son wouldn't touch play dough, or jello so that wasn't a possibility. Also, weighted blankets are great - you can find them online, use google to find new ones or try craigslist, ebay. Before I had weighted blankets, my kids enjoyed sleeping bags, because it enclosed them like a cocoon.
    We did the gluten free, casein free diet and found that for us it didn't help at all - there was no change in symptoms, but try it if you think it might help.

Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Are you working with an occupational therapist (OT)? Sensory Integration Disorder/Sensory Processing Disorder falls under the realm of the OT and an experienced OT can help you determine your child's basic sensory needs & help you set up a plan to work with your child's issues, both at home and in the community (including school if the child is school-age).

There are also some great programs already available, like "How Does Your Engine Run?", which is geard toward children who have trouble with regulating their emotional state and tend to get either very over or under active in response to external stimuli.

While the books are great, some people need more 'hands on' guidance, so if that sounds like you, find an OT to help you get started.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:21 PM on Aug. 20, 2009