What do you believe about the health care reform bill?

WASHINGTON – The judgment is harsh in a new poll that finds Americans worried about the government taking over health insurance, cutting off treatment to the elderly and giving coverage to illegal immigrants. Harsh, but not based on facts.

President Barack Obama's lack of a detailed plan for overhauling health care is letting critics fill in the blanks in the public's mind. In reality, Washington is not working on "death panels" or nationalization of health care.

To be sure, presenting Congress and the country with the nuts and bolts of a revamped system of health insurance is no guarantee of success for a president — just ask Bill and Hillary Rodham Clinton. Their famous flop was demonized, too. After all, the devil does lurk in details.

It can also lurk in generalities, it seems.

Some myths and facts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090819/ap_on_re_us/us_fact_check_health_poll

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think

-there is no money

-the gov't has run almost EVERY program they are in charge of into the ground.

-that the gov't is being SO disrespectful of people who disagree with this its nuts

-the bill has too many special interest stuff in it and needs to be written in layman's terms or at least where the politicians can READ it.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Add another to momof's list

the politicians refuse to accept it for themselves and their famlies

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That we can't afford it and they only members of the legislative branch who actually possess medical degrees don't think it will help anything, but rather, will make things worse.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The bill indefinitely WILL cause insurance companies to shut down. Eventually leaving just the Government program.
    If this bill is passed taxes will rise, people who are barley affording health care will be unable to pay it at all because of the tax hike. Therefore causeing them to lose their current coverage and needing the Government Program.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That if it were so incredibly important to pass this piece of crud it would go into effect way before the next election is well over, so as to secure a win for an Obama second term.

Sort of like it was such a timely thing to pass the stimulus that is hardly being spent, because if we didn't do it NOW, NOW, NOW our world would collapse. Talk about fear mongering. But I digress.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• barely*
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm not making any statement other than this: there is something inherently wrong with a government who wants to create a new system of care, but are unwilling to sign up for it themselves. It's kinda like finding out Bill Gates will only use a Mac. Things that make ya go hmmmmmm.

If you want to see what I believe (IN PART) about HR3200 - go read my journal. I've read it, I've cross referenced it, I've pulled out the old law books to decipher the language and the double language.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The politicians get free health care and damn good too! It has nothing to do with them and what they get! You get cancer or some big thing wrong with you after paying all that insurance every month and you will find out who the crooks are!!!!! Then try to get coverage again!!!!! We already starve to have the insurance, that never wants to pay for anything!!!!!! The deductalbes just go higher every year and the weekly prem. When will they stop? Who will stop them? My god, they are going to kill us, working for the insurance companys will do that little by little!!!!!It won't be long we will have to just drop it to eat and live, then what? What is out there for us?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• 'free' oh yeah? How about WE pay for their insurance anon? lol sheesh
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• public insurance is also bad for small businesses like or on Cafe Mom!
    I think 85percent of people are fine that this is not a real reason to ditch something that is working!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:53 AM on Aug. 20, 2009