How do I teach my 6 yr old DD to pay attention to her surroundings??

She is constantly kicking things, stepping on things, knocking things over, and hitting people in her vacinity. also, she will pick up one of our cats and then get distracted by whatever, and not realize she is twisting it around and flipping it, ect.. I talk to her all the time about watching what she is doing and I always explain when she gets hurt or knocks things down that she needs to pay more attention so these things don't happen, but nothing is getting through!! any suggestions?

ccspiratemama

Asked by ccspiratemama at 11:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kid is the same way. I am constantly telling her to pay attention, and to watch where she's going. I try to point things out to her while we are out, to get her to take a look around. Mostly though, I think it's an age thing. Just keep drilling it in and some of it will eventually stick. (I hope lol)
    DixieRoadrash

Answer by DixieRoadrash at 1:30 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Good grief! Our 6yo is the same way!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• my dd is 8 & still is completely unaware of her surroundings. i hope they grow out of this phase soon!
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 5:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Wow!!! Thanks! Nice to know it's not just my son! He's 8! I think I'm going to have to get DH to read this post! Thanks! And... if you find the answer could you please let me know?
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:16 PM on Aug. 20, 2009