What do you do/have you done to help your toddler learn not to throw, bite, hit?

Just wondering what methods people have used that work. NON-violent only please!

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 11:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well honestly I dont think theres a way too teach them to stop completely those things except for them just getting older and learning how to express them selves better. All I can suggest is that every time they do hit, slap, bite, etc. You firmly Say No we do not hit, bite, whatever. And then say use your words when you are angry. Or tell me whats wrong etc.
    andrea_smkns

Answer by andrea_smkns at 11:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I use time-out. I also take away my son's toys, especially when he hits me with them or throws them while having a fit. He is only 14 months old, so we're still working on them. Usually when we do time-out or take away his toys, he will stop for the moment's being.. but the behavior might repeat itself hours later, or the next day. He doesn't bite, so I don't have experience in that area. He mainly hits and hits with toys, or throws toys.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Don't condone it in the first place. If you see something coming (arm back to throw, mouth open to bite, etc) say NO in a firm voice, grab the arm, leg, mouth, whatever so they can't do the wrong thing, remove from the situation. I personally would tap the mouth for bites, tap the fingers for throwing, etc. 2 of my kids never bit, the other 2 did very few times, they rarely hit or throw things they're not supposed to - I feel because of how I reacted to them before they could perform the offending action.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• When my toddler throws, she looses the toy. If she continues to throw, she gets a time out. She's only bitten twice, and I bit her back once. She hasn't thought about doing it again! For hitting, I grab her arms and hold them down at her side until she quits fighting and sits down. While I correct the behavior, I also explain why we don't do this, it is not acceptable and she doesn't like it when others hit her, or take her toys and throw them. I also explain how she is feeling angry, sad or frustrated and while that emotion/feeling is ok we need to find another way to express it besides throwing things (her main problem!)
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Luckily, my daughter doesn't bite yet. But she does get bit :(

As far as hitting, I grab her arm at the wrist and warp my middle finger to my thumb and hold her arm still. I tell her she's not allowed to hit and that she's lost the use of her arm until she can learn to be nice with it. SHe hates that! More so than time out or toys taken away. She'll fight and try to pull away but can't go anywhere. Don't hold too tight, it's not to hurt the child, just to keep the arm from moving around. Works pretty well for us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Aug. 20, 2009