Relactation?

I feel horribly guilty and stupid. My daughter was born on July 31, and I breastfed her for the entire first week. I hadnt slept since before she was born, had dangeroulsy low iron, and couldnt eat. I was very sick. So my husband suggested that i start bottlefeeding her so someone else can feed her at night so i can sleep. Well, looking back over the past week, Ive been the only one up with her in the middle of the night, even when he doesnt work. So, I am just hating myslef that i let him (and my sister, who does NOT even live here) talk me into quitting. I really want to start again, but i'm not sure how. i mean, i'm not sleeping anymore the way it is, so there is no need for formula now. plus, its fricken expensive and WIC is a joke. I also have a 2 yr old, so how in the hell do i pump and stuff while watching her too? (I'm pretty much a single mom).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ah, you're making it harder than it really is. Not saying it's EASY...but it's EXTREMELY doable.

As to your two year old...that's why the Children's Television Workshop created Sesame Street, y'know. (And you thought it was to actually TEACH the kids something! **grin**)

Google 'relactation" for some great articles. And drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for lots of advice and support.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If it has only been a week since you stopped and your son is 2 weeks old I bet you still have milk. The only big issue is if he has nibble confusion. Put him on and see what happens. Good luck the La leche league could also help.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:36 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That was really recent, so you'll probably be able to get baby back to breast. Take Fenugreek capsules (I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe) and eat oatmeal to boost production.
    Gdiamante is right- the Breastfeeding Moms group is great and has loads of info.
    You can do it!!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 12:37 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• That's really awesome. I gave up with my 1st & didn't know relactation was possible way back then. I still kick myself. Since it hasn't been that long, it shouldn't be too difficult. Common sense as a long time nursing mother tells me that latching the baby as much as possible will give much better results that pumping only. Kellymom.com is a wonderful & very informative website. Search relactation there & good luck! Nursing your baby is really such a wonderful thing. It is trying at times, but it is so worth it. It is very comforting to know that you could loose everything you have, not have a dime to your name, living under a bridge & your baby would still be well fed.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 12:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Put that baby to breast NOW. Get a supplemental nursing system (SNS) to give formula through to help get your supply up. It is a tube that attaches to your breast and supplies breastmilk or formula while the child is latched on and nursing. That way you are sedning your body the signal to make milk (child being latched on) while still providing nourishment. Look online or call the hospital, WIC might even be able to provide one. Pump one side while nursing the other and give that milk in the SNS too. Pump in between nursing sessions to help increase supply. Take fenugreek and get enough water. DO NOT GIVE another bottle is the best advice. If baby is refusing to latch on then spoon or dropper feed them in stead to get something in them and help them get over the nipple confusion thing. If you can take a baby moon where you and baby get skin to skin for a day or two all alone in bed and nurse, nurse, nurse.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:33 AM on Aug. 20, 2009