About when should I start potty training?

My DD is 15 months and hates diapers. We got her a potty so she could get use to it and she stands there and seems to listen when I explain how we use the potty. So far I've let her decide when to start and stop things like bottles and pacifiers. But I don't want to push her too early.

MomWeb

Asked by MomWeb at 11:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If she's acting ready, do it. I was potty trained right after turning 1. A friend potty trained 2 of hers right after their first birthdays. Try it. If it doesn't go well, stop for a month or two, and try again. Just because you try and it doesn't work doesn't mean you need to keep forcing, it means you quit trying for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Everybody kept telling me my little girl would do it when she was ready and I didn't believe it. I would try with her for a week and she wouldn't be interested. Then I'd stop for a week or so. We did this several times before I finally gave up and let her do it at her own pace. She's 2 1/2 now and has completely potty trained herself.
    I'd say when your daughter starts staying dry through nap-time or for two hours or more, that'd be a good time to start. My DD went from never using the potty to using it all the time (no accidents, even at bedtime) in a period of about 2 weeks. All kids are different though. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• To add - average age for a girl seems to be 2, average age for a boy seems to be 3. 2 of my girls were not done on their 3rd birthdays, and my son will probably be done around the same time - he's 2yrs 5mos and at the rate we're going, he'll surely be 3 before he's trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son is 19 months and he started using the potty on his own at 18 months i would just bring him in the bathroom with me when i had to pee and show him his potty and talk to him and explain what i was doing and made it seem fun. ever since he used the potty when i ask him sometimes he refuses to use it but its really when they are ready to use the potty! if u force them it will make it even harder on you but if you dont they will eventually start doing it and when they do act really excited and clap and sing songs make going to the potty a really fun thing!!
    RomeoButtlerMOM

Answer by RomeoButtlerMOM at 12:31 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Between age 2.5 and 3 would be the time to start looking for signs of being ready.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009