Is anyone in the PTA or PTO?

I was thinking its time I was more involved in my kids school. My son is going into 4th grade, my daughter into 1st & then when she is in 5th grade, the baby will be starting kindergarten. We're not going anywhere, we love the school. There are a few programs I would like to see changed or implemented though. What is the PTA like? Can you really make a difference? How involved are you allowed to be really? I would like to see the school start recycling, which the teachers I talked to about, were excited. I would also like a books only book fair. Parents should be able to send their children with money & not need to worry about them buying Hannah Montana posters instead of books. Are these goals unrealistic? Tell me what I'm getting into!

carlye828

Asked by carlye828 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in

• i dont know but i would love to know how you even asked to join the PTA cause i really wanna do that :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I tried to join the pto when my daughter was in kindergarten and it really left a bad taste in my mouth. I have been thinking about trying again but im so uncertain, its really a lot like middle school cliques if you dont already know at least three people they dont want anyting to do with you and Im not sure im up for that! anyway i would like to see what other people have to say about this!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:43 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My son attends a private school and the PTO is a major thing. All the families are required to volenteer 15 hours of time throughout the year. So PTO is very obvious. It's eady to join and they have several events you can sign up to help for your 15 hours. Like "muffins with mom, breakfast with santa, book fair, family day carnival, ect. and you can volenteer to work as a cashier, set up, clean up crew and so on. The PTO meets once a month and discuses stuff like that. We have an "advisory board" for the stuff you mentioned like changes recycle, fundrasiers or whatever. They discuss everything with the PTO and room moms, then go to the principal. SO check with your room mom about who to contact up the food chain to get involved with Exactly the right group. Who cares if they are click-ish. It is for the best of YOUR child right? so go for it!! You can do it if you set your mind to it. Maybe even contact the superintendent ! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My husband and I both join the PTA/PTO for years now. Our oldest is starting middle school at the end of the month and her school has a PTA. Our youngest is starting Pre-K and it's the same school our oldest went to and they have a PTO. We'll join both.

We both work outside of the home; however, I only work Tues-Thurs so I can be a little bit more free to volunteer. However since the school is literally across the street from our home my husband volunteers when there are snow storms so that the paths and sidewalks clear and class can resume more quickly (yeah the kids really love 'em LOL) and we attend all the meetings.

I'm able to be a helping hand to the teachers, lunch ladies and front office - basically where ever I'm needed. Not only does it give me a sense of doing something that's helpful but I'm right there in the school if my kids should need me.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I know all the fundraisers that we do through the PTO and PTA help our schools and it does really make a difference. Take for instance this past school year (our oldest was in the 5th grd) and the PTO went to various local businesses to ask them if they would like to sponsor one of our monthly family math nights. Our family maths nights were a HUGE sucess - the kids got to show all the parents what new concepts they were learning in math and teach us parents who had long forgot how to do certain things and afterward we'd have dinner. Pizza Hut, Giant Foods, Target, and Home Depot, even a local wine bar sponsored several math nights (the wine bar supplied several bottles of wine for the parents - lol). Our baseball team the Baltimore Orioles helped us raise money for the end of the year activities and even gave tickets to those students and their famlies to a game who had been on Saftey Patrole for the year.
    It was great
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I've found the PTA a great way to get involved at school, and a really good way to get to know people. You can do as much or as little as you like, I think that the moms in charge just like to have additional help. We started out a couple years ago by cooking a couple meals for a family that the mom had just had surgery, and I went as far as chairing the Science Fair last year. Start small, offer to be on a committee, there are many to choose from.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:12 PM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Our book fair is on report card pick up days. Do you not have book orders?
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 12:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I wish you luck! My children are too young still but I want to be an active mom in the school!

Jahnae
    momofana82

Answer by momofana82 at 1:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• In response to Mommybug77: We don't have report card pick up days. Our kids report cards are just sent home with them. When they have a book fair it usually runs for at least 3 days during school hours. They do not send anything home except a notice about the book fair.  Parents are welcome to go with their child, but a lot of them (well, not so much anymore) have to work during these hours. It is one of my goals to ensure that parents can confidently send money with their child knowing that their child will come home with books.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 4:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The book sales where they sell posters are the Scholasic Book Sales.

One thing you could do is to have a book exchange. For each student that brings a book they get a chance to pickk a book out. If they bring 4 they get to ick out 4....get the picture. It isn't a fundraiser, but it is a great chance to do a cheap, fun event. I donated 65 books to the book exchange and my son chose to pick out 8. :-) You would have students drop the books off before school and you would give them a slip for a book. Then a couple days later you let the students pick out the books during recess.
    bugfree

Answer by bugfree at 8:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009