I'm a mom of 7 planning on going back to school

My dh works very hard to provide for us...Sadly we are hardly making it. I stay home with the kids almost all of them are in school. I have it worked out that while in school Dh will stay with the kids and then when he goes to work I'll be home. I just want to help provide for our family and take so of the pressure off dh.

Any advice
Words of wisdom from moms who have gone back to school. Things you have done to make everyday living while juggling kids/school easier

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• oh wow brave! I am a FT student and I have 3 kids ages 16mos, 4 and 6. I have been in school a while but mostly generals and I just started the Medical Radiography Program which is pretty intense. I have to go during the day and FT so its a juggle with kids. My SO does work FT and is a good provider but like you we still struggle. I do qualify for grants though which helps alot! So I am fortunate to be a SAHM and not have to work so I can focus on the kids and school. The best thing to help is to really organize your time and plan things out. My kids are also on a really good schedule so that helps me know what times are good to study and do other duties. Me going to school affects the entire family so it can be draining at times. Its all worth it but it has its moments !!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• How old is your oldest? Do you think your oldest son/daughter could babysit
    Might help! :) Just a though good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• The only problem is it's his senior year so he is super busy with school work and all the extra things he does. I think his schooling comes first.

We have the childcare worked out. Just curious how to juggle homework and housework LOl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• try something you can do from home
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• What about online careers? My husband works for Kaplan University he is an admission advisor there He told me that I can do a whole career online and it would be acreditated as if I go campus.
    It is better because you do it from home whenever you can and you can apply for fafsa for grants or loans and paid them later when you graduate.
    I am going to start maybe an a couuple months I'm going for Paralegal studies I am oing to do the whole career online.
    Think about it !!! Hope it help!!! There more universities that offer online careers.
    Vero529

Answer by Vero529 at 12:28 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• girl if i lived near u i would be glad to help you
    out! ugh i will be praying for u. let the kids
    help with the chores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• try something you can do from home

Things are to hectic here for me to do online schooling

I already know where I am going and what I'm going to school for.
    Have childcare taken care of.
    I just was wondering if any mamas who are juggling both had any advice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I got my BS while married with 2 little ones and 2 master's degrees and almost finished my doctorate as a single mother of 3. I went to college about 20 years as a mother at 7 different universities. I loved being a student.

What kind of things do you want to know?
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 12:44 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend online school. It is a TON harder than classroom work. For juggling homework and housework, well dh helps with the housework as do the kids. It was hard for them going from cleaning THEIR room and making THEIR bed, to having to clean the kitchen, living room and put away their own laundry too. (mind you "cleaning" means picking up, dishes and scrubbing the floor are still mine and dh's responsibilities). Food went to easier meals, crockpot, or one dish meals. Some we make tons of it and store the extra for another night. Take help when it's offered. Have YOUR school area, a place the kids are NOT allowed to be. I had to turn in extra credit that had crayon all over it because ds got into my work, my prof. has kids too though so she understood. Good news, most work is on the comp now so make sure you back it up though. Good luck!!
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 12:48 AM on Aug. 20, 2009