What age would you have your child start swimming lessons?

comomof4

Asked by comomof4 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• i say with they can touch the bottom of the shallow end of the pool.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:01 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• as soon as they are born, I met a mama/daughter who has no fear of water and swims excellent she is very little 3 yr. old girl, and is a better swimmer than me!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:04 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am in a 'water babies' class with my son. He's one. We sing songs and get them comfortable in the water, getting their ears and head wrt, etc. He loves it
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:30 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• Its all your opinion momma.. Its kinda like eggs.. One month its good one month bad. Sometimes experts say younger the better. Another expert say its useless. So do some research & form an educated opinion :) is my best advice
    We have a pool & DD loves swimming. By 2.5 she could swim 1/2 way across our pool. shes great at holding her breath- loves touching the bottom with her feet & wears her goggles to look into the water while swimming (its adorable!) . no formal training.. but its only for FUN! I dont think she could survive a fall alone & we try our best to prevent a "test" of this!
    A friend could afford ISR swimming for her 3yo...While fully clothed in winter clothes (that we dont even wear in tx, hehe) they have been taught to roll to their backs, float & kick their feet if they ever fall in a pool--its amazing to watch!! Will the $90per session work (6+sessions needed)? Id rather not test it... :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:34 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• cont...
    If its something you think she will enjoy (The YMCA will do it for a good price, and a great price if u have membership) and someone will have fun going with her then i dont see the problem with it... Then its not training it becomes a fun bonding time in the water for parents & child -- at any age! Its never wrong to want to enjoy doing activities with your kiddos right! :D
    But if your feeling pressure from people or worried about money.. Dont stress!!!
    There are plenty of people out there that are strong swimmers with or without training..
    Talk to your child at the app. age level & teach them safety & the rest is common sense -- if water is around be alert!!
    I think most important the child should learn to ENJOY the water (in a safe enviroment) !!!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:40 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• We started our now 4 year old swimming at the age of 6 months old and has continued. It is wise to begin as early as possible - they learn so much faster.
    AUniqueMom

Answer by AUniqueMom at 1:42 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I am hoping to get my DD into swimming lessons. But most places are so expensive! She turned 2 in june.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 2:45 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My kids all started around age 2. I had them in the pool before that (I think the youngest was DS at around 2 months) but then I did several sessions of Parent/Child classes at the YMCA. I never forced them or made them do anything they didn't want to do. I think a lot of it depends on the child. My girls are still total water kids & my son, not so much, even though they all started around the same age.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 3:06 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• oh my goodness, with my next child, whenever that happens..lol, i will be doing mommy and me swimming at like 6 months, the earliest they will let me..my daughter started when she was 3..did it during the summer, took her all summer to pass the first level..then when she was 4 she went in them again during summer..at level 2..continued til fall..then i gave up..shes 5 now and is starting level 2 again on monday..sooo..who knows!! she should be better this year, i mean its not that she doesnt like water, cuz she LOVES IT!! she plays in her pool at home, the sprinkler, slip n slide, bathtub for HOURS!!! she just doesnt understand the concept of floating..or moving her arms to swim..or that a lifejacket will hold her up..sooooo yaaa i would say the earlier the better..it is verrrry important that children know how to swim!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:32 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• DS #1 was not afraid of the water and would run, jump, try and drown. I would pull him out, time out, talk till I was blue in the face, then he would do it again. So at 2, into lessons he went. That was the youngest he could go in without me. I started him over a year ago and he's doing great! He can swim by himself, swim across the pool, dive, touch the bottom of the pool, working on the back stroke and butterfly stroke. It's been expensive, but it's worth it to me for him to be able to swim and not drown himself. Yes, I still watch him like crazy and he knows he has to wait for me, but swim lessons were one of the best investments we could make. Right now the center only does 3 and over, but the AAP is recommending swim lessons now for under 4 yrs old. They said under 4 is still more likely to drown, but less likely if they have had swim lessons and can somewhat swim.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 3:59 AM on Aug. 20, 2009